New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Nutrient in a starter??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1197 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson
If you add nutrient to your starter, do you add more nutrient to your wort at pitching time? I haven't been doing this. I figure the yeast get their nutrients from the starter, then get a big dose of oxygen at pitching time, and they've got everything they need to start fermenting, but maybe I'm wrong.
I add more, just because the stuff is cheap. I've not seen anything to suggest that too much is detrimental (though I'm interested if anyone thinks otherwise), and you want to make sure that your yeast has access to the necessary micro-nutrients. Malt has a lot of what's necessary for reproduction and fermentation, but not everything. That said, I doubt it is absolutely necessary.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Goosta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd also be interested to learn if there were any ill effects from adding more nutrients at pitching. Currently I do not add more at pitching time but I don't really have a reason to justify it. I may have to experiment to see if there are any differences at all.

In response to the initial question, I typically add the full 1/2 tsp when making a starter...haven't seen any negative results so far.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosta
I'd also be interested to learn if there were any ill effects from adding more nutrients at pitching. Currently I do not add more at pitching time but I don't really have a reason to justify it. I may have to experiment to see if there are any differences at all.

In response to the initial question, I typically add the full 1/2 tsp when making a starter...haven't seen any negative results so far.
To be honest, I think effects would be hard to trace in a single experiment. I suspect this is nuance we're talking about. That said, I'd certainly encourage you to give it a shot.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

It could be like the over-oxygenation thing, long believed to be a myth but definitely a reality.

Yeast are the Americans of the microbiological world - they eat everything, as much as possible, even when they don't need to, and know they shouldn't.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
Yeast are the Americans of the microbiological world - they eat everything, as much as possible, even when they don't need to, and know they shouldn't.
Good way to put it. I think I read in the yeast book that too much nitrogen or something is bad for the yeast, but I don't have the book infront of me right now to double check it.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 02-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #16
tnbrewer371
Recipes 

I always add a quarter tsp to my starters and a half tsp to my wort about half the time when I remember, I can't tell a difference but I always make big starters usually half gallon starters for a 5.5 gallon batch

Primary1: Cider 4
Primary2: Session XX Pale Ale
Primary3: Twonty Riy
Primary4: Dirty Southern Blonde

Corny1: Southern Blonde
Corny2: sierra madre pale ale (nb)

Bottled: A bunch of stuff

Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
It could be like the over-oxygenation thing, long believed to be a myth but definitely a reality.

Hmm...interesting thought. I hadn't really conceptualized yeast nutrient like that. I've always imagined the nutrient as being there for micronutrients and trace minerals, rather than larger scale building blocks. But, I really have no idea what is in the stuff I use now that I think about it. A quick search suggests that it might actually be in large part nitrogen phosphates, which is definitely not something I'd want to over-indulge the yeast with. I think you might be right...I'd still like to know a lot more.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #18
johnnybob
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, I always add an additional 1/2 tsp to the boil.

Quick Reply