Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast From Local Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
alexdagrate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Yeast From Local Brewery

I called up my local micro-brewery and asked if I could have some leftover yeast for homebrewing. They were really cool about it and said yes.

I dropped off a sanitized mason jar and picked it up later that day. It was nice and full of active pale ale yeast.

It's currently in primary fermentation, it's one of the most vigorous and sustained fermentations I've seen.

Yeast prices are nuts right now at my LHBS, and I bet this stuff will be way better quality.

FYI, another local brewery I called was NOT into this idea at all and acted rather snide about it. Anyone calling your local brewery should prepare for different reactions from different brewers.

It was definitely worth it, since now I have a reliable hook-up for the best yeast I could hope for!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If they're using generic commercial yeast they probably won't have an issue. It's those that are using proprietary yeast that probably won't. I've gotten a few mason jars from a local. It's just 1056. And a mason jar every now and they isn't going to hurt them.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know some of the local breweries around here offer their yeasts as well. I'm pretty sure they only offer generic stuff. I don't quite remember but I think Oscar Blues said they use WLP001 for most of their beers.

Even if it is a generic yeast, that's one less thing you need to buy and you know it hasn't been sitting on a shelf for months. Good score!

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Reedwalker
Recipes 

I score yeast every now and again from a local brew pub. It's just one more excuse to go there!

Actually I've gotten to know the brewer. He is a font of information and always eager to talk brewing and beer.

Hot on left, cold on right, $^*t rolls downhill, and paydays on Friday. You're now an apprentice plumber.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wonder if I can score some from Gordon Biersch's San Jose brewery.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 10-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
bronzdragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think it just all comes down to how personable the brewers are. If they're cool, approachable and like to talk beer with homebrewers, then your chance of being able to get yeast, buy a bag of grain or sack of hops off them are much higher.

cheers

~r~

Old 10-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpaodog View Post
I know some of the local breweries around here offer their yeasts as well. I'm pretty sure they only offer generic stuff. I don't quite remember but I think Oscar Blues said they use WLP001 for most of their beers.

Even if it is a generic yeast, that's one less thing you need to buy and you know it hasn't been sitting on a shelf for months. Good score!
Who is offering up their Yeast in Co? I have to know!!!

Quick Reply