Yeast lab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a small scale yeast lab at home to isolate strains and all that stuff the commercial breweries do?

Some people do have "yeast ranches" that they keep. There are many different ways that people choose to keep their yeasties viable, from stored slurry to slants. Google searching should yield you many good resources, several on this very site.

Some people do have "yeast ranches" that they keep. There are many different ways that people choose to keep their yeasties viable, from stored slurry to slants. Google searching should yield you many good resources, several on this very site.

A yeast ranch ..that is awesome

If you're interested in this a good place to start would be Chris White's book Yeast. It goes over some of that stuff that is achievable at home. I've tried a few things: started with rinsing or washing and thought that was a pain. After that I tried freezing which didn't really work because my freezer had a defrost cycle which I think ended up kill everything. Now I am doing a combination of things. I do have a variety of yeast slants set up with five different strains and I also just do a better job of planning so I brew a beer and then just reusing the yeast for a handful of batches. No rinsing, no washing. I just dump it in a mason jar or pitch right on top. The slants are cool to have and have already built up two starters for two successful beers from them so I know it works so far.

Back