Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is yeast kicking up into full gear after 4 weeks in primary a bad thing?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scoundrel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 810
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Is yeast kicking up into full gear after 4 weeks in primary a bad thing?

I usually don't freak out about these things and really am not concerned. I'm more curious of the outcome. I whipped up a Motley Brew IPA with a bunch of leftover hops. The OG was 1.060. It went through the normal ferment and finished up about 2 weeks later. I let it sit another couple weeks for the hell of it.

Yesterday, I went to rack and whoa... it kicked back up and a krausen re-formed. It makes sense. I recently put a tripel in the same room and boosted the temp in the room to 73. This has never happened to me. A few of my buddies are convinced it's infected. Other's aren't. I don't think its infected but I am curious if others have experienced this and what was the result. Please share your stories

__________________
BrewGeeks.com
My Brewday
Track Your Beer

Starter??? I don't even know her!
scoundrel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

What makes you think it kicked back off? Visible krausen? Is the gravity dropping? If there's krausen, does it look like yeast or something else? More info like SG, temp, etc. would be helpful.

__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scoundrel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 810
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
What makes you think it kicked back off? Visible krausen? Is the gravity dropping? If there's krausen, does it look like yeast or something else? More info like SG, temp, etc. would be helpful.
Ya I mentioned there was a krausen, the temp was bumped to 73 and the OG was 1.060

The gravity was sitting at 1.020 yesterday but I haven't checked it today. It's definitely going. Big chunks of yeast are visibly moving up and down and airlock activity every 6-8 seconds or so.

I'm really more interested in if this has happened to others before and what was the outcome of their beer. Did it finish ok? Anyone ever have an infection? It's more of a curiosity question.
__________________
BrewGeeks.com
My Brewday
Track Your Beer

Starter??? I don't even know her!
scoundrel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Yeah, I was actually referring to fermentation temps before you bumped it up to 73. And the reason I asked about gravity was cuz if it's not dropping, it's probably not fermenting. The reason I asked about krausen is because warming up a fermenter can cause co2 to come out of solution, rise to the top and bubbles as it leaves the liquid.
You say the gravity is stable around 1.02, unless it drops some more, your beer isn't kicking back off, it's releasing co2 cuz it warmed up and warm liquid holds less dissolved co2 that cool liquid.

__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
ToBuc Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scoundrel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 810
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Yeah, I was actually referring to fermentation temps before you bumped it up to 73. And the reason I asked about gravity was cuz if it's not dropping, it's probably not fermenting. The reason I asked about krausen is because warming up a fermenter can cause co2 to come out of solution, rise to the top and bubbles as it leaves the liquid.
You say the gravity is stable around 1.02, unless it drops some more, your beer isn't kicking back off, it's releasing co2 cuz it warmed up and warm liquid holds less dissolved co2 that cool liquid.
Ya that makes sense and I probably should have given an update on the gravity. It's at 1.016 now. I've seen degassing before since I routinely leave my beer in primary for a month, but this was different. The yeast are definitely movin and groovin. It started at 64, slowly rose to 70 and sat at 70 until I bumped it to 73. Btw, I'm talking liquid temp here not ambient. I have no reason to believe its an infection but if it sours, I'll bottle it and drink it anyway.
__________________
BrewGeeks.com
My Brewday
Track Your Beer

Starter??? I don't even know her!
scoundrel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
theonetrueruss
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
theonetrueruss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 802
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts

Default

Seems to me 1.02 is a bit high of a FG for a 1.06OG. 1.015 or so would be 75% attenuation which is pretty normal, of course depends on a lot of factors. I suspect that things stalled out or was going real slow at 1.02 and the rise in temp got it going at a good clip again. I doubt that this is a real problem other than possibly having saved you from overcarbed or possible bottle bombs.

__________________
TheOneTrueRuss
Fat Messiah Brewing
theonetrueruss is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
bigljd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 471
Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I've noticed that many yeasts get lazy at the end of fermentation and sometimes crap out prematurely, but if you raise the temp about 5 degrees it gives them a kick in the butt to finish the job. In the summer it's easy just to raise a brew to room temp to do this, but in the winter when your house temps are cooler its not as easy. I set the fermenter on a plant seedling heat mat which bumps temps up to the low 70's (for ales) for a few days to finish out fermentation.

I find that even yeasts like Cali ale yeast can get sluggish and take a while to finish, but when you give them the temp boost at the end they finish quicker and drop faster.

__________________
E-Brewery Build

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper
bigljd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 weeks in primary, stuck at 1.021 Grossy Fermentation & Yeast 9 12-10-2011 07:29 PM
Yeast rafts after 4 weeks in primary? phenry Fermentation & Yeast 1 06-25-2011 01:18 PM
4 weeks in primary? spurcrazy Fermentation & Yeast 14 03-03-2011 08:18 PM
2 Weeks In Primary? biggerboat88 Fermentation & Yeast 5 11-18-2010 10:38 PM
visual fermentation, three weeks into primary? bosunbrew Fermentation & Yeast 2 12-19-2009 03:06 AM