Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast inactive after transferring to secondary

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
johnny_hophead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bologna, Italy
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanBrew View Post
Since you're using Beersmith, what was the predicted OG and what's the percentage of your grain bill that's malt extract (the entry in the %/IBU column in Beersmith for your malt extract)?


It certainly can't "hurt" anything to pitch more yeast and see what happens.

In general, you don't want to make a starter with dry yeasts. Instead, by multiple packs, re-hydrate for 15-30 minutes, and pitch.

Predicted OG was 1104, and percentages are the following ones:
-Dark DME: 74,3 % (6 kg)
-Extra light DME: 12,4 % (1 kg, I just used one I had left instead of buying another dark one)
So in total 86.7% extracts

-Smoked Malt: 1,9 % (0.15 kg)
-Black Patent Malt: 6.2 % (0,5 kg)
-Chocolate Malt: 4.3 % (0.35 kg)
-Black Barley (roasted): 1% (0.08 kg)
Step for 30 min at 75°C

I'll try to rehydrate some us-05 and pitch it.. Thanks for the advice so far!
__________________
johnny_hophead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
johnny_hophead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bologna, Italy
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
It's not going anywhere - you can turn your beer into one big experiment but at best I think you'll only shave off a few more points. High OG, lots of specialty malts, questionably attenuative malt extract, and a lower attenuative yeast all point to it being done.
So... if I got it right... next time maybe I'd better use a more attenuative yeast?

Such a big experiment... my wallet's not so happy though
__________________
johnny_hophead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
IvanBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 209
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_hophead View Post
Predicted OG was 1104, and percentages are the following ones:
-Dark DME: 74,3 % (6 kg)
-Extra light DME: 12,4 % (1 kg, I just used one I had left instead of buying another dark one)
So in total 86.7% extracts

-Smoked Malt: 1,9 % (0.15 kg)
-Black Patent Malt: 6.2 % (0,5 kg)
-Chocolate Malt: 4.3 % (0.35 kg)
-Black Barley (roasted): 1% (0.08 kg)
Step for 30 min at 75°C

I'll try to rehydrate some us-05 and pitch it.. Thanks for the advice so far!

One thing to consider for future brews:

Since you're already steeping specialty grains, skip the dark extract. If you stick with the same light extract batch to batch and adjust body, color, etc., entirely with specialty grains, you'll develop a better feel for fermentability

I'm with kanzimonson on this one. I tend to think you probably have enough unfermentables that you're finished out.

OTOH, except for costing you money, you won't do any harm by pitching more yeast and seeing what happens.
__________________
IvanBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
johnny_hophead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bologna, Italy
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanBrew View Post
One thing to consider for future brews:

Since you're already steeping specialty grains, skip the dark extract. If you stick with the same light extract batch to batch and adjust body, color, etc., entirely with specialty grains, you'll develop a better feel for fermentability

I'm with kanzimonson on this one. I tend to think you probably have enough unfermentables that you're finished out.

OTOH, except for costing you money, you won't do any harm by pitching more yeast and seeing what happens.
So you think fermentation is complete? I'll try to pitch some yeast anyway, but how much time would you reccomend me to leave it in the secondary? I was thinking about two weeks or so, and a couple of months bottled... I really have no idea, as it's an experiment and never brewed anything heavier than 1051..
__________________
johnny_hophead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 01:21 AM   #15
IvanBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 209
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_hophead View Post
So you think fermentation is complete? I'll try to pitch some yeast anyway, but how much time would you reccomend me to leave it in the secondary? I was thinking about two weeks or so, and a couple of months bottled... I really have no idea, as it's an experiment and never brewed anything heavier than 1051..
1.038 is pretty high... Even with an OG of 1.104 it's 8.8% ABV and only 60% attenuation. I'm torn on what to think. A bubble every 4 minutes doesn't sound like fermentation to me. It sounds like off-gassing. In that case, whatever happened did so in the primary.

I say go ahead and pitch more yeast and see what happens.

As far as leaving it, your 2 week timeframe is fine as long as you're happy with the flavors you're getting. You 'can' leave it for months, if it's in glass, but sometimes you start to lose some of your roasted flavors.

I say make sure it's stable for 3-4 days (hydrometer/refractometer) and then wait another week to 2.
__________________
IvanBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
johnny_hophead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bologna, Italy
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanBrew View Post
1.038 is pretty high... Even with an OG of 1.104 it's 8.8% ABV and only 60% attenuation. I'm torn on what to think. A bubble every 4 minutes doesn't sound like fermentation to me. It sounds like off-gassing. In that case, whatever happened did so in the primary.

I say go ahead and pitch more yeast and see what happens.

As far as leaving it, your 2 week timeframe is fine as long as you're happy with the flavors you're getting. You 'can' leave it for months, if it's in glass, but sometimes you start to lose some of your roasted flavors.

I say make sure it's stable for 3-4 days (hydrometer/refractometer) and then wait another week to 2.
Yesterday I pitched some rehydrated US05,this morning there were some other bigger bubbles on top but no foam layer.
As to maturation time, both my fermenters are plastic, that's why I was worried about oxidation, but so far I didn't notice any off flavours or smells so I'm not worried about that. I'm going to wait 24h since pitching to measure density, and wait till no changes to start counting the two weeks.

In any case, when bottling.. should I consider the CO2 produced during fermentation as completely gone? Is there maybe some correction factor to apply? You know, so far, every beer I've made I've transferred to secondary because that's what I was suggested. But I realized that this beers weren't very carbonated even though they were APA's with both 2,6 and 2,8 vol... They felt really mild, english style (not a real problem but I like IPA and APA to be quite more carbonated, that's all). I was thinking about 1,8 to 2 vol max for this beer, as it will probably have a very tough body.
Also, when do you think the bottles will be ready? I was thinking about 2-3 months and leave some 6 and 12 to see if there are some changes. You know, once I'm improivising everything what the hell, go on!

Thanks a lot for all your help, and excuse me for being annoying!
__________________
johnny_hophead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #17
Hopinista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Green Valley, NV
Posts: 2,301
Liked 267 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanBrew View Post
1.038 is pretty high... Even with an OG of 1.104 it's 8.8% ABV and only 60% attenuation. I'm torn on what to think. A bubble every 4 minutes doesn't sound like fermentation to me. It sounds like off-gassing. In that case, whatever happened did so in the primary.

I say go ahead and pitch more yeast and see what happens.

As far as leaving it, your 2 week timeframe is fine as long as you're happy with the flavors you're getting. You 'can' leave it for months, if it's in glass, but sometimes you start to lose some of your roasted flavors.

I say make sure it's stable for 3-4 days (hydrometer/refractometer) and then wait another week to 2.
So you're saying plastic wouldn't be okay? I use both glass and plastic, and have never had any issues leaving beer conditioning in better bottles for extended periods of time.

The general consensus on here actually is that there's no difference really.
__________________
I wear a Florida State shirt because I went to Florida State. You wear a FLORIDA shirt because you went to WalMart.
Hopinista is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #18
IvanBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 209
Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinista View Post
So you're saying plastic wouldn't be okay? I use both glass and plastic, and have never had any issues leaving beer conditioning in better bottles for extended periods of time.

The general consensus on here actually is that there's no difference really.
I have neither the personal experience nor technical knowledge to make a strong statement on this.

Glass and stainless are "known-goods" for long-term aging. There appears to be a growing body of support for PET, so maybe that's good as well.

I got rid of all of my glass carboys after nearly severing the nerve in my index finger and tendon in my thumb when one broke. I use PET for most of my beers, but if I'm going to let it sit a while, I use stainless. Do I need to? Good question.

I think I'll keep reading. Thanks for the nudge
__________________
IvanBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #19
Hopinista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Green Valley, NV
Posts: 2,301
Liked 267 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default

Yeah I'm phasing out all my glass as soon as I can.

Not really anything as fun as trying to clean 6 gallons of beer/glass shards up at 3 am

__________________
I wear a Florida State shirt because I went to Florida State. You wear a FLORIDA shirt because you went to WalMart.
Hopinista is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad/inactive yeast? bendog15 Fermentation & Yeast 4 02-17-2014 08:26 PM
Help with Inactive Yeast rschega General Techniques 8 09-08-2012 02:50 PM
Yeast inactive? TW1Kell Wine Making Forum 7 04-03-2012 02:15 PM
Transferring to secondary, but keeping yeast? phecke Fermentation & Yeast 2 10-05-2010 05:21 PM
Inactive Yeast Tl1227 Fermentation & Yeast 5 03-04-2010 02:10 AM