The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast immobilization: magic beans of fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #361
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 818 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 109

K-K-K-K-K-K-K-Kathmandu?

If I ever get out of here...

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

MalFet Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #362
Titan88
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Completely random question, but could this be done with flavorless gelatin? Additionally, wouldn't this be good for those of us who don't have the space/funds for ferm temp control? If the yeast can only ferment at the pace the solution passes through the membrane, temp shouldn't get out of control, right?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #363
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan88 View Post
Completely random question, but could this be done with flavorless gelatin? Additionally, wouldn't this be good for those of us who don't have the space/funds for ferm temp control? If the yeast can only ferment at the pace the solution passes through the membrane, temp shouldn't get out of control, right?
I don't have much experience with gelatin, but I've never seen it get as firm as these beads are. They really feel like a plastic polymer of some sort. I have to imagine that gelatin would become a soupy mess.

Your speculation on temperatures sounds plausible, but really I have no idea. Based on my experiences, I'm confident that these beads will ferment beer, but everything beyond that is just a guess.

I will do more experimenting at some point, but it might be a while! Right now, my nearest homebrew show is thousands of miles away, so I'm not able to do much until I get around to figuring out how to malt my own barley.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply