Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast immobilization: magic beans of fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #251
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Would it be permeable? A small test in some sugar water might give at least a hint. More complex sugars might require a further test if that works.
As I pointed out earlier in the thread, at least one study has described chitosan actually being used to make the beads MORE permeable/increasing pore size.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #252
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
As I pointed out earlier in the thread, at least one study has described chitosan actually being used to make the beads MORE permeable/increasing pore size.
I thought that was mixing it in, not coating the beads. I don't see how a coating would be the same thing. But, best way to find out is to try it.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #253
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I thought that was mixing it in, not coating the beads. I don't see how a coating would be the same thing. But, best way to find out is to try it.
Ah, I gotcha. I'm not quite sure on how differently it would function. Experimentation is indeed probably the best answer, but at first glance it seems to me to be the kind of thing that would require more sophisticated tools than the average brewer has, to properly validate any findings - the apparent "shedding" of yeast cells could actually be due to a number of different reasons.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #254
KegWrangler
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
Here's a pic of the lager beads.
Looks like a breakfast cereal. They're kid tested...mother approved.

Speaking of which, my wife recently bought some organic, gluten-free, snooty version of Kix called "Gorilla Munch" but my two year old son calls "Monkey Balls". I haven't had the heart to correct him.

On a serious note, you guys rock.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #255
biertourist
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Yet, I've never heard of a commercial brewery actually going this route. I've got to imagine that if AB-Inbev isn't doing this, it's not because they haven't heard of it.
I've only read through the first 8 pages of this thread so far so I apologize if this has already been covered but the huge British ale company, Marstons is using this technology commercially currently. The pubs really love it. They use it for what may be it's ideal practical brewery application: cask ale.

The downsides of the technology seem to be fermentation performance; but that's not such a big deal when your secondary fermentation is occurring out of your expensive clyndro conicals and in casks on the way to pubs. Pubs hate the beer losses and excess yeast that often end up in cask ale, but people like that the beer is still "living" and the yeast are still conditioning the beer and producing CO2; these yeast balls solve the problem as the beer is both clear and alive and producing CO2.

See www.fastcask.com for Marston's page on their application of the tech.

This is a great technology to use for secondary conditioning even for homebrewers. We can crash cool after primary fermentation is complete and then transfer the clear beer into a corney keg for cold or warm conditioning with yeast. I think it could also be great for lagering in a keg that you're already serving from especially if the yeast balls are added to a stainless tea strainer as someone already mentioned. I LOVE that FANTASTIC well-conditioned flavor that you get from a really long slow lagered lager, or a kellerbier after the yeast finally drops but I don't want to keep transferring off of the yeast or sucking up yeast in my keg dip tube.

This is a great technology for all secondary fermentation, IMHO. People HATE that home brew often has a bunch of yeast in the bottle; if you add 3 yeast balls to each beer when bottling you can easily leave them behind in the bottle and get out 98% of the nice clear beer.

We know that there's no oxygen scavenging technology that works better than live yeast.

Adam
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #256
hopdoc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biertourist View Post
people like that the beer is still "living" and the yeast are still conditioning the beer and producing CO2; these yeast balls solve the problem as the beer is both clear and alive and producing CO2.
THIS is really cool!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #257
biertourist
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrikos View Post
speaking of diffusion of sugars...

This sounds like it would be more efficient with simple sugars since the permeability of longer chain sugars would be naturally smaller.
I wonder if the wine guys are "lining up" to try this...
Good call.

More evidence that this technology is ideal for bottle / keg / cask conditioning. (If you've added a bit of simple sugar for carbonation.)

Adam

Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #258
biertourist
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBA4ME View Post
Another possibility is that the alpha acids are the same between the two beers, but the absence of flocculating yeast in the beads beer resulted in less hop polyphenols falling out of suspension and the increased in perceived bitterness is not alpha acid related. Perhaps a fining of a sample of the beads beer would provide a means of testing that hypothesis?
EXACTLY what I was going to suggest.
This is a great guess.

Adam

Old 05-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #259
danielbt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biertourist View Post
See www.fastcask.com for Marston's page on their application of the tech.
Ingenious! Perfect use.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #260
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

Beads?

Quick Reply