yeast help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedasnake

Reaction score
I ordered 2 extract kits from Midwest, one the Hop Head IPA the other is the Superior Strong Ale. I got to choose the yeast that i would like to use so i got the white labs liquid yeast its the California Ale yeast WLP001, this came with both of the kits and along with them in both kits as well it came with safale US-05 Dry Ale yeast. Now my question is do they send them both to me to use or should i just use one and if only one what one should i use. Also with the white labs i know im supposed to do a yeast starter but i dont have the equipment yet to do so is this going to be alright to do?
thanks

They are supposedly the same strain. You only need one or the other. I would recommend using the dry yeast your first time. Or another possibility is to use one pack of dry yeast on one batch, and both vials of liquid on the other. Check out mrmalty.com to see if those two vials will give you the cell count you need for your gravity.

On the mrmalty.com calculator it does say just like you had said to use both vials of yeast, i am going to do the hop head ipa first so how would you or anyone recommend i pitch both vials since i am not using a stater just shake the vials and pitch both of them or is there any other trick to making them work better without a starter?
thanks

Let the wort cool, aerate, dump both vials in, seal up the fermenter and let the yeast do what it does best. In the mean time, start the other batch.

Cheers!

Ok thanks i dont have the money to get a starter kit at the moment but i will soon, as for now i am just a little worried that because this is such a high SG that the yeast is not going to do its best but oh well i guess i will just give it a shot. Am i supposed to aerate the wort before i pitch the yeast or after i pitch the yeast?

What is the starting gravity? I aerate before pitching. If starters are not an option right now, dry yeast may be the way to go. Look at the threads about building a stir plate. They can be built easily and wont cost nearly as much as buying one.

You don't need any kit to do a starter. All you need is a jar/ bottle big enough to hold about 2 liters and some DME. Search for info on starters. You can make one and just shake it every time you pass by. I takes longer that with a stirplate and needs to be a bit larger but it is not difficult.

If you pitch the vials, open them very slowly. Like opening a bottle of rootbeer. Let the gas escape. If you just twist the top off you will have yeast all over your kitchen.

Make your stirplate. If you can get your hands on an old computer you can make one for less than $10. Then you will need a flat bottomed jar and a stir bar.

My biggest concern is that because its such a high SG that it wont work properly and completely, the other problem is that i cant get any DME for about a week dont have any home brew stores close to me. And the other problem is that i have already cracked the grain so i dont want it to go stale so i am going to brew it tomorrow and now i am just trying to decide which yeast to use.

OK and for you would you, with the dry yeast should i use 2 packets with that or should i only use one?
thanks for the help

I would use both. Personally i would always lean towards overpitching instead of under. Im sure one packet would work but may lead to off flavors since the yeast will be working pretty hard 1.07ish.

Take gravity readings and keep us posted on how this turns out.

Back