Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast has frozen during transport. Still good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
beauvafr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default Yeast has frozen during transport. Still good?

I had a US-05 solid yeast as long with a WLP 007 liquid yeast. The liquid got frozen. I could see a big lump of yeast in the WLP007 tube.

Are they good ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 593

The 05 is probably just fine. For the 007, a lot of the cells were probably damaged, but you could maybe make a small starter to try to save whatever cells are still alive. Liquid yeast doesn't do well with freezing, unfortunately.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
baer19d
Recipes 

A friend of mine had a vial of White Labs yeast freeze. He pitched it without making a starter and it didn't ferment at all.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
beauvafr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'll probably do a 2L starter.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

The liquid on top of the yeast froze? Or was the 007 a solid clump that resist separating after being shook up? 007 clings together till it is room temp and shook up a bunch.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
poptarts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Here is my heart warming story about a vial of 007 and their journey through -20s in the Colorado winter.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/whit...-solid-447143/

boydster Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvafr View Post
I'll probably do a 2L starter.
I'd start smaller, like 250-500ml even, just to step it up slower. Then up to 2L. That's just my opinion, but it stems from this mentality: You want to grow healthy yeast if there are any left alive, and there is no telling how many viable cells you have right now. Most probably died from ice crystals piercing them. A smaller starter will encourage growth from the remaining survivors (assuming there are some) and it will be at a rate that hopefully won't add additional stress.

Edit: Just read poptart's thread. That 1 cup starter looks like a good starting point.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Reportedly, mangrove jack m07 is a dry wlp007 strain. Was wondering if this is confirmed. I used on last batch. It worked spectacularly and flocked hard, fermented fast.

From what I understand, some yeasts are banked in deep freeze. These are not intended to be pitched directly into wort though. However, a pitch able vial is going to have significantly reduced viability. Cell count is same, but some to lots are probably dead non viable cells from the freezing. I would recommend making a starter, and if you can do it, do a cell count and viability assessment. Otherwise you are probably better off to see if the place you purchased from will refund or replace the yeast. If you're really intent on that strain, you might try the mangrove jack dry yeast. I do not think that dry yeast will affected as much or if at all by a brief dip below freezing temps.

I have the opposite problem in FL- cooked yeast!
TD

Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
gometz
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I never posted about it because there was already a lot of information, but a few weeks ago while going through my fridge it turns out I had frozen the last of my Conan yeast (YG001). I was pissed because I had big plans for it and didn't want to spend another $15 (I'm being cheap lately).

Luckily it looked like the yeast itself was not solid, like the liquid on top had frozen but not the yeast itself. So I made a 1 L starter, but retained 750mL of that in a jug. After 2 days I barely saw anything, so little that I thought I was deceiving myself. But I figured, what the hell, might as well toss in the rest of the wort. Sure enough the next day I had a nice krausen on top. It smelled right, so I am hoping a few extra hearty yeasts made it through. I probably ended up with about 150-200B cells.

I doubt the yeast will be exactly the same as it was before. But who knows, it might be even better!

Point is: if you have the time and want to try, go ahead and see if you can revive it. If you have to order a replacement ASAP to get it in time, do that. Don't bet on the yeast being viable, but if you want to go ahead and try just for fun.

Side note: I will be using this yeast for an IPA that will be called Frankenstein IPA because the yeast was dead.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
beauvafr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Reportedly, mangrove jack m07 is a dry wlp007 strain. Was wondering if this is confirmed. I used on last batch. It worked spectacularly and flocked hard, fermented fast.
Interesting. Where did you heard it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
..do a cell count and viability assessment.
How to do that ?

Quick Reply