Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Harvesting storage questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Midnigh7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Yeast Harvesting storage questions

What is the preferred method of doing this? I'm trying to find the best method for me.

Freezing with glycerine, or using the agar agar slants?

What would store the longest? I would assume that the freezing would not dry out and might store a bit better?

Any of you do both?

Thanks,
-Midnigh7-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I was just listening to a podcast about building a yeast library. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/612 Jamil discusses various aspects of each of them.

Do what works best for you. I keep one or two around of washed or top-cropped strains in the fridge and try to get a starter of them going before two months is up. So far it has worked well for me.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
birch
Recipes 

I just store in mason jars like the yeast washing thread shows.

Unfortunately a few months ago while I was away my fridge took a dump and all my yeast warmed up for about a week. I thought maybe they would be OK, but after opening a couple, they just didn't smell right. I even made starters out of a couple and they still just didn't smell right anymore, so I had to dump my whole bank. I don't know if they were actually bad or not, but I didn't want to chance it.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I store mine in jars in the fridge. I don't think I would attempt to store them past a few months. Over time you loose viability.

Freezing will take quite a bit more equipment and work but you can store them much longer. The only reason I see for going this route is to maintain a supply of strains that are not available at the LHBS. It's just too much effort for something you can easily buy. That's my .02

Quick Reply