Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > yeast harvesting experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
TravisT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default yeast harvesting experiment

So i just built a stir plate and had only used it once(with great results.) So i decided to try to propagate/harvest some yeast from a commercial bottle(Race 5 ipa one 22oz bottle). I carefully poured the beer in to my glass then left about 3-4 oz of beer in the bottle and let it sit at room temp for about 2 hours. I made a starter as i usually do. 1/2cup DME and about 2cups of water, boil, cool. poured the 3-4 oz of room temp racer 5 IPA into the started and set it on my stir plate. I let it stay on my stir plate for a week, took it off the stir plate, let it set for a day and just took the gravity reading.......1.052 well i guess there was no yeast production. There was a lot that could have gone wrong, beer might have beer old, the yeast was already dead, the starter could have beer to high of a Starting gravity.

After i started the experiment i read up on the proper way to do this with step up starters, and more starting yeast. I think i will try this again just for fun. This time i will do it with at least a six pack, pay more attention to the date on the bottles, and start with smaller OG starter (1.02) and step it up a few time. It was a fun and cheap little experiment and just wanted to share it with you guys/gals

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
stikks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I tried one last week with the dregs from 2 bottles of Emillese Russian Imperial Stout
with a 1.020 starter and had the same results -no yeast.Keep up the good fight-
I will be trying it again with some of the dregs from my Robust porter I made last
december.I used wyeast 1084 in that batch.Will let you know how it goes.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
cram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Be sure to look for sediment at the bottom of the bottle, as the beer should be bottle conditioned to have much luck harvesting the yeast. I'm not sure if Racer 5 is bottle conditioned or not--often it will say directly on the label. Pliny the Elder, for sake of comparison, is bottle conditioned, so you'd likely have luck growing some yeast (and a similar strain) off one of those.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

Next time start off with a starter with S.G of 1.020 and about 50-100 ml of it. and i always try to do it from at least 3 or 4 bottles just to have a little more yeast.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
TravisT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
Be sure to look for sediment at the bottom of the bottle, as the beer should be bottle conditioned to have much luck harvesting the yeast. I'm not sure if Racer 5 is bottle conditioned or not--often it will say directly on the label. Pliny the Elder, for sake of comparison, is bottle conditioned, so you'd likely have luck growing some yeast (and a similar strain) off one of those.
When i looked at the bottom of racer IPA it had some "sediment" that would stir up when i held it.... I'm just now looking at the bottle, It does say it is bottle conditioned. That is a good point though... make sure its a bottle conditioned beer, cant harvest yeast if there is none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratrules View Post
Next time start off with a starter with S.G of 1.020 and about 50-100 ml of it. and i always try to do it from at least 3 or 4 bottles just to have a little more yeast.
yeah i learned that after i started the experiment. do you do step up starters?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
whitehause
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yep....low gravity starter...500ml.... and give it a couple days. You may not see much in a day.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
bratrules
Recipes 

yeah i learned that after i started the experiment. do you do step up starters?

Yep once it ferments out just step it up!! that's when your stir plate comes in handy.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy. - Frank Sinatra

Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
TravisT
Recipes 

Just bought a 6pk of rouge yellow snow IPA. I have used pacman yeast before and it is a monster! Step up starter here i come. I'll prob try to get 3-4 beer into this starter. i couldn't see a date on the bottles so i have no idea how fresh it is.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
bratrules
Recipes 

Give it a shot let me know how it goes!! Am sure it will work. anyway good luck.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
brian2can
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisT View Post
Just bought a 6pk of rouge yellow snow IPA. I have used pacman yeast before and it is a monster! Step up starter here i come. I'll prob try to get 3-4 beer into this starter. i couldn't see a date on the bottles so i have no idea how fresh it is.
I did the same thing, bought a 6er and drank 2 and added to some saved wort. Just did one 2 weeks ago and after 3 days of building it up, I dumped the yeast on a Yellow snow clone with the pacman. It has been bubbling away for over a week. I will check tonight on the gravity. But it was bubbling after 1 hour.

Quick Reply