The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Harvest From Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
bruceb07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Harvest From Secondary?

I have successfully harvested yeast from the primary after racking to secondary but, when I was racking to bottling bucket I noticed a significant layer of yeast in the bottom of the secondary. My question is can this harvested yeast be used or will it be exhausted and insufficient to brew another batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
aryoung1980
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I've successfully brewed with harvested yeast from secondary. It took a three step starter to get the proper pitching rate though. Now I just wash the yeast from primary. In short, the answer is yes you can. I have also read that the yeast isn't as viable coming from the secondary compared to the primary.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Grannyknot
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 44

2 reasons why I normally harvest from primary rather than secondary. First, I was told the cells that have dropped in the secondary are less flocculant, and second, I normally throw a ton of dry hops into the secondary.

Bottled: Little River Brown Ale
On Tap: Greenbriar Session IPA, Root Beer, Appalachian Imperial IPA
Secondary: House IPA
Primary:
On Deck: Mt Hood Kolsch; Raspberry Cascade Ale

Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

You can use the secondary trub but it will not be a viable to begin with and of course there isn't as much. I would suggest that you use the primary yeast unless you are in a bad scrape, and in that situation you could use it but I woud plan on a 2 or three step starter especially if it sits any length of time.

Quick Reply