Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Froze During shipping...Ruined?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Rassisland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Froze During shipping...Ruined?

I just got an order of ingredients and the package had been outside for a few hours. I live in Upstate NY and it has been about 15 degrees out. When I opened the package I found the yeast, Wyeast 1968 was crunchy and seemed to be partly frozen. What should I do?! Is the yeast dead? Should I let them thaw out or put them in the fridge? Any advice would be helpful. ALSO, would any other ingredients be hurt by being in freezing weather? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassisland View Post
I just got an order of ingredients and the package had been outside for a few hours. I live in Upstate NY and it has been about 15 degrees out. When I opened the package I found the yeast, Wyeast 1968 was crunchy and seemed to be partly frozen. What should I do?! Is the yeast dead? Should I let them thaw out or put them in the fridge? Any advice would be helpful. ALSO, would any other ingredients be hurt by being in freezing weather? Thanks in advance.
It could be just the yeast nutrient that was frozen... although I would be worried too. Definitely thaw - smack and see what happens - if it doesn't expand or expands only a little. Get out some Malt extract and make yourself a starter - hopefully any live yeasties would procreate and you would have a pitch-able amount in a couple days.

or screw all that and call and complain to the company you bought it from.

Primary: always something...

Brewed: Scottish Ale 80 - Ode to Arthur Stout - Benrath Alt - Araucania Huaso Wit - Two Hearted Ale - Dark Star Porter - Yoopers Dead Guy Ale - Cassandra the Dark, Russian Imp. Stout - Yooper's Fat Tire - Scott-A-Tron IPA - Orange Kolsch - I69PA - Rye Opener - Lick Me I am an Irish Stout - Fat Thaddeus the Third Triple - Holy ESB of Antioch

*Member of PALE (Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts)

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
thunder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassisland View Post
Make a starter that will tell u if there were survivors.Give it a few days in the starter wort!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
SupraSPL
Recipes 

Yep a nice starter will help bring your cell count up a bit.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
griffondg
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had the same thing happen with my last batch. I made a starter (like I always do anyway) and it is happily bubbling away in my basement right now. If you see no activity in your starter within 24 hours it could be toast.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I've had the same thing happen. I pitched a starter and 3 days later, voila, I had a pitchable flasks worth of cells. It's always good practice to make up a starter.

Quick Reply