Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast for Double Bastard Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Rmerrill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast for Double Bastard Clone

I am brewing a Double Bastard clone that should have a pretty high OG. I'm trying to figure out how to handle the yeast situation. The clone calls for a WLP California Ale V 051. Instead of just buying a new one and doing a yeast starter I was wondering about another option.

I just brewed a moderate gravity Lemon Grass Ginger Ale (low hops and same base malt) and fermented it with the same WLP California Ale V 051. My question is that when I move the Lemon Grass Ginger Ale (9-10 days) from primary to secondary fermentor can I just dump the brewed up wort for the Double Bastard on top of the remaining yeast from the primary fermentor? Will that be enough yeast to get the job done for a big beer (OG target of 1.103)?

Thanks for any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Believe that stone uses WLP007, or something similar in a proprietary yeast for their beers. Never done Double Bastard before, but have done it in an AB clone.

As to your question on reuse of the yeast, I'd wash it first and only use the prescribed amount via MrMalty.com. When I read Lemon Grass I don't want anything close to that in my DB...

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 06-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Rmerrill - did you brew the Double Bastard clone? Can you post the recipe? How did it turn out?

Quick Reply