Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > yeast choices for smoked baltic porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
ipsiad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default yeast choices for smoked baltic porter

I really really want to brew a smoked Baltic porter, which is usually fermented with a lager yeast. Unfortunately the lowest consistent ambient temp I can find is around 60°F, maybe. That is, unless I use my kegerator as a ferm chamber for a few weeks, which I don't really want to do.

The recipe I put together will have an OG of ~1.082, and I want it to ferment down to around 1.018. Any thoughts on yeast choice and fermentation temperature to approximate a lager? I've looked at multiple threads on this topic and here are some of the suggestions:

Wyeast 2565 - Kolsch
Wyeast 2112 - California Common
Wyeast 1764 - Pacman
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale
Wyeast 2124 - Bohemian Lager (fermented as cool as possible)

The first three are commonly used to make "hybrid" styles, which a Baltic porter certainly is. With 2112 I'd be worried about it not attenuating down to where I want it. 1056 would probably turn out okay, but I'd rather experiment with something else. I've never used 2124 and I don't know how it will turn out if fermented in the 60°F range.

Anyone out there tried one of the above choices to make something lager-like with good results? I might do a split batch, but I'd still have to figure out which 2 to try... Other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

If you cannot ferment around 50 or maybe a little bit lower, I'd go with 1056 and take that as low as I could. Pacman would be my second choice. I would also pitch very healthy amounts (more than typical for an ale) as a means of reducing the ester profile a bit, too.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I've only used it a couple times so far, but I've had great success each time using 2565 right around 60F (I mean to use it again this winter, I liked it so much after last year's blonde ale). It does really well at that temperature, and gives a very subtle but pleasant flavor. In something like a big baltic porter, it might be just clean enough to pass as a lager, if you treat it right. Pitch nice and low, below 60F if possible, and let it end fermentation higher than it started.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
ipsiad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the replies! I'll probably split the batch and try the pacman and kolsch yeasts. I've done a robust porter fermented cool with 1056 before, so I think I know how that would turn out. Pitching a bigger starter is a really good suggestion, I'll definitely do that.

Quick Reply