The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > yeast for chicken feed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
theschick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default yeast for chicken feed?

Okay, I don't know anything about chicken feed, but hoping someone on here does. I have family that raises chickens, and would like to add brewer's yeast to the feed. I'm not sure of the reasoning, perhaps all the B vitamins?

Anyways, I could always give them the yeast cake after a batch of beer, but I was wondering if there is a simple/cheap way for them to make their own yeast.

If you add yeast to a simple sugar water mixture (let's say to around 1.040 SG), would the resulting production of yeast lack their nutritional value because the sugar and water has no real value when compared to wort?

Would using something else like applejuice provide anything better, or it still too simple?

Kansas City area people: Check out the KC home brew club: www.kcbiermeisters.org

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I read something about this awhile back so going from my faulty memory here....

Brewers yeast when used as a supplement is 'stabilized/killed' during what we would consider high krausen. The yeast start gobbling up all the beneficial stuff they produced as by products by the time our fermentations are complete. Your yeast cake and trub will not be nearly the same thing.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Ya most brewers yeast that is bought for nutritional value is deactivated, so you probably could not grow a culture out of them. But I give my grain to a buddy at work for his chickens, he said they love it and from what I have read it is good for them. Just a thought if you brew AG....

Edit: Ok so I think I misunderstood post at first, ignore me.....

Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

theschrick - While you can produce Brewer's yeast at home (that is just what our yeast cakes are), you will not be able to compete on price.

The Brewer's Yeast that you see for sale is actually originally from large-scale commercial breweries. Their excess yeast is a highly nutritional component, and is sold off to food processors. Since it is just a by-product for the breweries, the price is actually quite reasonable.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
theschick
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I spoke to the family members, and they are actually using the yeast to ferment the chicken feed. I just googled "fermented chicken feed", and apparently it's an actual thing. Since it is an active process (keep adding grains as you remove so, to keep the fermentation going), I think once it is started they are good to go.

Kansas City area people: Check out the KC home brew club: www.kcbiermeisters.org

Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 810 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 109

fermenting chicken feed?

sounds like corn squeezins and someone is doing something they need to go to New Zealand for it to be legal

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Quick Reply