The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > yeast cake question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
monk420
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yeast cake question

i'm making a honey kolsch. and have a trippel ipa in a secondary now. when i brew could i just rack my kolsch on to my yeast cake from my seconday. i will be pitching the yeast from a higher gravity, to a lower gravity beer. Also the kit says it uses a new strain for lighter body and flavor. If i use my yeast cake how will that effect my flavor? Or am i better off just making a stArter and buying the yeast that comes with the kit? thanks

Bottled irish blonde; cream ale
On deck german alt; the innkeeper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Kolsch yeast is pretty integral to the style and not very much like most yeasts used for trippels--a kolsch is a hybrid type where you're looking for a clean, lager-like fermentation.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

+1 to Sumner. kolsch is a very delicate, specific type, whereas ipa is a brutal ( and 1 of my favorite ) types. i love both ipa's and kolsch's. i would never think of combining the 2. that's almost like saying " yeast is yeast "

Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
ChillyP
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk420 View Post
i'm making a honey kolsch. and have a trippel ipa in a secondary now. when i brew could i just rack my kolsch on to my yeast cake from my seconday. i will be pitching the yeast from a higher gravity, to a lower gravity beer. Also the kit says it uses a new strain for lighter body and flavor. If i use my yeast cake how will that effect my flavor? Or am i better off just making a stArter and buying the yeast that comes with the kit? thanks
Are you r\entering your beir(kolsch) into a contest? If you are then switch to the correct yeast...... Now if you want to be adventrous, go ahead and try it. One suggestion is to try and remove some of the trub(dump out some of the yeast after you rack off it). Go for it. You can't come up with something new without a leap of faith.

Quick Reply