New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > yeast for bottling high gravity beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Chief462
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yeast for bottling high gravity beer?

I have a barly wine OG 1.084 FG 1.012 in the secondary for 4 months and brewing a wassail est around 8-10% that i will secondary for 3.5 months. What are the best yeasts to use at bottling to help with carbonation after long secondary. I heard White labs champagne is good for this is that true. Do I direct pitch to bottling bucket or do I make another starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm bottling my barleywine on Sunday that has been aging for 8 months. The process I'm going to use is the following...

- Make priming solution
- Once priming solution cools, add 1/2 pack Safale US-05 to it
- Dump yeast/priming solution in bottling bucket & rack barleywine on top
- Give a gentle stir before bottling to ensure even mixing

Secondary 1
: Oud Bruin
Secondary 2: BA Pumpkin Stout
Bottled/Kegged: Triple IPA, Choc/PB Stout, American IPA, Raspberry Brown, Smoked Rye Amber, Red IPA, American Barleywine, IIPA #1, X-Mas Ale, Apfelwein, APA, Scotch Ale, Imperial Smoked Porter, English IPA, Hefeweizen, Weizenbock, Belgian Tripel, Session Wheat IPA, Baltic Porter, Imperial Red IPA, IIPA #2, Helles, Mild, Belgian Dark X-Mas
Upcoming Brews: n/a

Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you repitch anything (which you shouldn't need to) I would only repitch the same strain as the original. What happens if the champagne yeast can ferment the beer lower than the original strain after you bottle it.

I wouldn't pitch new yeast, and if you pitch something like champagne yeast, I would do it a few days-a week before bottling!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Quick Reply