Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast / beer suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
bretrichter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Yeast / beer suggestions?

So im looking into the future for my next beer to brew. Need some suggestions.
I would love to brew a beer that is very similar to Blue Moon. Its my absolute favorite, and would like to brew one very similar, that also has that clean citric taste.

1) Could you please recommend a recipe

2) my basement is a constant 62*F. Could you suggest a good yeast.

3) I had an issue with my current brew that is going because It got up to 78*F, then down to 63*F...Im assuming that the same will happen. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check out this thread and scroll down and read posts from Wayne1. He worked for Coors as the Brewmaster of SandLot Brewery from 1995-1997. Supposedly it's the original Blue Moon recipe and everyone who's brewed it said it came out great.

blue moon clone

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Even though you have a place where the air temp may be constant, fermentation creates heat and, despite its relatively high specific heat, air is not dense enough to scavenge away that heat effectively. Put your fermenter in a water bath to provide a large thermal mass for your beer to stay at a stabler temp.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is a no no for a hefeweizen, but toss an ounce of citra or warrior in the secondary. That'll add a nice citrus flavor/aroma.

Actually my first "hefeweizen" used a cold smoked hops method I tried out. It was an interesting flavor, but probably not what you're looking for if you're into Blue Moon. The cold smoking method is in my signature. Here's a link to the recipe (extract...it was my second time brewing). Probably wouldn't be hard to translate into all-grain.

Quick Reply