Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast and barrel aging beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
jdhasse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Yeast and barrel aging beer

Anyone do much barrel aging of there homebrew? For my first time I brewed a stout which was in the primary/secondary for 4 weeks total, in the bourbon barrel for 6 weeks and bottle for 2 weeks. When I tried it last night there was really no carbonation.
My question, Think the yeast is fresh enough to consume priming sugar and produce CO2 after that long in secondary and barrel? Or am I just paranoid and need to be patient for the full 4-6 weeks n bottle, or potentially a little longer?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Probably. If you're getting little swipes of trub from primary to bourbon barrel, then again to bottling bucket. It should have enough yeast in suspension to carbonate. My bet is you're not letting it condition long enough in the bottle. It also helps to let the bottles condition in a dark, room temperature location. I use the top shelf of a clothes closet in a spare bedroom and that works pretty well.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Wolfbayne
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would agree with the waiting. Heavy beers take awhile. Most of the time we get upset when they dont carb right, then we forget about a bottle and find it a few months/year later and its perfect. Hardest thing in brewing is patience.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
jdhasse
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you both. I agree with the patience being the hardest thing.

I always plan to give it 4-6 weeks but then I usually try one after 2 weeks and was just a little surprised it wasn't more carbonated so far.

Hopefully another month will be kind to me as the brew tasted wonderful minus that flat flavor/feeling.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

If you got any kind of a hiss when you removed the bottle, you had carbonation going on. There are times when i'll taste test a beer at a week in the bottle to see how it's coming along and I don't expect much carbonation. I'll get the hiss letting me know there's CO2 being produced and usually drink a nice flat beer. There just isn't enough CO2 to saturate the beer in the bottle yet.

It also helps to chill your bottles for a full 48 hours prior to consumption to ensure the liquid re-absorbs as much CO2 as possible. Cold beer has a higher CO2 holding capacity than warm beer, so chilling it thoroughly for a few days can help the beer re-absorb maximum CO2 back into solution.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 57

There is also no harm at all in using about 3g of fresh yeast at bottling time after extended aging. Lalvin Prise de Mousse (CY1118) wine yeast works great.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply