The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast bank vials not freezing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
c0bra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast bank vials not freezing?

I followed FlyGuy's instructions here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guid...st-bank-35891/ recently and whipped up 10 vials of WY1056.

Everything seemed to go well but the next day I noticed that the contents of the vials had not frozen. I had them in a smaller cooler with ice packs as suggested, so I left the door on it open thinking it might have insulated them from the cold a bit (this is a manual-defrost freezer, so no freeze/thaw temp cycles). Several days later they're still not frozen, though some have frozen bits or slush.

What's the deal here? I tried to use about 15% glycerine (which I picked up at the LHBS) but I didn't measure and it might have been more like 25%. Could that have lowered the freezing point? I should note that this freezer has frozen several gallon jugs of water solid overnight. Will the yeast be okay, if they're at a low enough temp, or am I screwed?

TIA

Primary: Mirror Pond Clone, Moose Drool Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How do you know they are not frozen? If you are expecting ice crystals on the inside, well that's exactly what the glycerine prevents. Try filling a spare vial 1/2 full of water, and place in the center of your yeast vials. If it freezes, then all is well.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
c0bra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post
How do you know they are not frozen? If you are expecting ice crystals on the inside, well that's exactly what the glycerine prevents. Try filling a spare vial 1/2 full of water, and place in the center of your yeast vials. If it freezes, then all is well.
I guess I expected the slurry to still freeze, though I don't know why... I guess I didn't see it mentioned anywhere that it wouldn't.

I'm sure that a vial with water would freeze, as everything else in there freezes fine, so I guess it's OK!

Primary: Mirror Pond Clone, Moose Drool Clone

Old 08-20-2009, 03:10 AM   #4
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2495

Mine freeze solid. I go 15% glycerine, measured. BTW, I have re-animated 1056 (from frozen) several times without problem.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Whether it's solid or not does not matter. What you want is for the temperature of the yeast to be about 0F. Measure the temperature of your freezer with an infrared thermometer or one of those made to go in freezers and fridges (cheap 3-4 dollars).

Quick Reply