Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast alternatives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
JIsurfer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast alternatives

I'm new to the forum, but not entirely new to homebrewing. I've brewed mostly kits, but added extras to them, to put my "stamp" on them. At any rate, I'm in a bit of a conumdrum with yeast. I like to make cider on the side, something fun to do, and most everybody enjoys it. Where I live, Charleston, SC, there are NO homebrewing stores. Yep, in a metro area of close to 900k, there are no homebrew stores. The closest one is up in Cola and that's a bit of a haul from here. What I am wondering, is if one can use the supplement Brewer's Yeast to brew with? I've used Baker's Yeast before for cider, but not Brewer's Yeast. I'm not sure if it would be better than Baker's Yeast or not. Anybody have some answers? Mahalo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

www.morebeer.com
www.northernbrewer.com
www.midwestsupplies.com
www.austinhomebrew.com
www.brewmasterswarehouse.com
www.rebelbrewer.com

etc.

I believe the brewer's yeast supplement is dead.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I believe the brewer's yeast supplement is dead.
+1

Info taken from:
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...ER%27S%20YEAST

Quote:
Brewer's yeast is a microscopic plant that is a by-product of brewing beer. Dietary supplements containing brewer's yeast often contain non-living, dried yeast. People use brewer’s yeast to make medicine.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
daugenet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I come to charleston on occasion to see friends and relatives and could drop some supplies from the shop up here if you like. otherwise the sites above are your best option. there used to be a place in mt pleasant but i think they went out of buisness a while back.....

Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
JIsurfer
Recipes 

Ok, for the time being, I went out and got the baker's yeast. I will def order from a site online, I noticed that Ashville Brewing Supply also ships, that's just a straight shot down the Interstate. I found two different types of yeast though, regular and rapid rise. I got both, but which would be better to use in a jam?

Old 11-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Please post something or send a PM on how the beer comes out with baker's yeast. I'm dying of curiosity to try this.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 890 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1957

For fresh pressed cider, you don't need to add any yeast - the wild yeast will do the job. Personally, I'd wait and get some ale yeast before using baker's yeast.

FWIW, to add to remilard's list, another vendor that I like is Seven Bridges Cooperative at www.breworganic.com

Old 11-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
RavenChief
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIsurfer View Post
Ok, for the time being, I went out and got the baker's yeast. I will def order from a site online, I noticed that Ashville Brewing Supply also ships, that's just a straight shot down the Interstate. I found two different types of yeast though, regular and rapid rise. I got both, but which would be better to use in a jam?
Don't be afraid to order yeast online. Just check first to see how bad the shipping charge is.
I like to order from BrewGadgets (they don't beat you up on shipping). They stock a pretty good selection of both liquid or dry yeast.

Cheers

Old 11-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
JIsurfer
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks for all the help. This should be interesting if it turns out right. I'm going to add some maple syrup and was thinking about adding a hint of bourbon. We'll see.

Quick Reply