Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Allergy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
BeeRad77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Allergy

I have a brewers yeast allergy and am wondering if anybody else has had experience with this. My reaction ranges from chest cramps to mild anaphylaxis to full on anaphylaxis.

I have noticed I always have problems with any beer brewed by Pyramid and sporadically have problems with brown ale and belgium beers. From my own brewing I have noticed that European yeast strains seem to be a trigger, and American yeast strains seem to be ok. Anything in common between all of these that I am not noticing?

Was thinking of starting to filter my beer, any idea if that helps with yeast allergies?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You shouldn't be able to eat bread either then, since in reality it's all Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Do you have symptoms then?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would imagine if you perform a .5 micron filtration or less that it should remove all the yeast... that said I would consult your allergist first to figure out what your allergen threshold might be in ppm, then decide on a filtering technique from there.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
BeeRad77
Recipes 

Yeah you would think I would be, but I eat bread all the time without any problem. I am allergic to a ton of other stuff, though. Peanuts, legumes, citrus fruits, and apples. Not hops, wheat, barley or anything else that normally goes into beer.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but the yeast in bread is dead after being baked while beer yeast is still living. That may have something to do with why you can eat bread. Guessing, tho. I really have no clue.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithstewpid View Post
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but the yeast in bread is dead after being baked while beer yeast is still living. That may have something to do with why you can eat bread. Guessing, tho. I really have no clue.
Your immune system can't differentiate between dead yeast and live yeast. In fact, even if baking blew up the yeast into tiny bits (I don't know that it does, but it might) it would still elicit a reaction because antibodies go after very small, specific bits of various allergens.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Could it be a gluten allergy?

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

That would be difficult to tell because bread has both gluten and yeast, as does beer. I'm guessing the OP knows exactly what allergy he has.

I think filtering would be your best bet, but I have no data to show that bits of lysed yeast don't make it through the filter, nor do I have any idea if there's a specific epitope responsible for yeast allergies.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I think the first thing to do would be to isolate which types/styles/brands of commercial beers elicit reactions, and which don't and taking all of them to an allergist so he could test or observe the reactions with you. THEN look at the characteristics (which we can help you with) that differentiate the beers that affect you and the beers that don't. Such as yeast strain, whether it's pasteruized or not, whether it's filtered or not.

Then for example we can see that you are not affected by lagers that are pasteruized and filtered and brewed with x lager yeast strain, but at the opposite end are greatly affected by Unfiltered, unpasteurized hefeweizen made with x ale strain.

If this makes sense to you.

We can help with the identification of the characteristics, but you really need a good allergist, preferably one who is a beer geek or brewer, because they can understand the subtle differences that most no beer persons don't grasp.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
BrewerinBR

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Finding a good allergist may be quite difficult since their professional organization thinks yeast allergies are speculative and unproven. Well according to this internet article :http://www.ehow.com/about_5043054_si...ion-yeast.html. Since it is on the internet it must be true right? People are not allowed to lie on the internet, right?

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply