*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast age vs viability

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
justkev52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
For a slurry, I would just make a starter (first step of a 2 or 3 step program) and make sure there's at least a decent amount of good cells in there. IME, older yeast (3+ months old) can/will take longer to get going (even in starters, on stirplates). After that first step, though, they act like fresh yeast (mostly because there's a good population of fresh yeast in there now).

Even with the underestimating done by the sites, you're not going to over-pitch the yeast you need. Considering how many cells you'll have post fermentation at least.

I've used 10+ month old vials/packages of yeast before. I just did a 2 or 3 step starter for them. I have some that's over a year old now, that I plan to use with starters. I figure that the first step will tell me if they're ok to use or not. If I get nothing from them after about three days (or 72 hours), I'll probably give them until the following morning to show sign. If nothing, then I'll just toss the small starter and get fresh yeast. Not much of an issue for me.
Same story here. I do it all the time because the outdated yeast is 1/2 price at the LHBS
Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I want to use yeast that's about 10 months old and "washed" per the sticky. Is there a certain smell that says it's no good? Silly question, I know; but I thought somewhere in that long sticky, weird smells were mentioned. I'm not sure what to "look" for. I think it's fine, but I'm looking for more info before I use it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2perc View Post
I want to use yeast that's about 10 months old and "washed" per the sticky. Is there a certain smell that says it's no good? Silly question, I know; but I thought somewhere in that long sticky, weird smells were mentioned. I'm not sure what to "look" for. I think it's fine, but I'm looking for more info before I use it.
Think of what the yeast smelled like when new/fresh. Think back to how it smelled when you put it into the jars. If it smells like either of those (or close to it) then you're good. If it smells like a thousand dirty asses all taking a dump at the same time, while eating durian and belching, I'd not try it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Not sure it smells like dirty asses.... That's funny. I might try stepping it up a bit. Decided to brew Tues instead of today, so I have time to buy fresh yeast if I decide not to go with this. Thanks for the description Golddiggie.

Quick Reply