New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyest pack only slightly inflated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Encinoman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyest pack only slightly inflated

I just received my Wyeast 1010 American Wheat packet in the mail the other day. I smacked it about 20 times just to make sure the bag had popped and shook the crap out of it. It has been a little over 24 hours and the pack seems slightly inflated, not nearly as swollen as it should be. It was made on May 3 10' so i know it isn't expired.

I am just worried because the day it arrived it was 108 degrees outside. The Ice pack inside was actually pretty warm, and it seems like it could have been sitting in the fed ex truck for a while before it was delivered. Upon arrival, I immediately opened the package and placed the pack in the refrigerator and I smacked it later that night so i could use it the next day. I plan to give it the 5 days before calling Northern Brewer.

Is this out of the ordinary? How do I know if its dead for sure?

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Primary:Triple Rye Red Ale
Secondary:Empty :(

Bottles: Lights Out (#8) Belgian Trappist ale Surly Cynic PM clone, Sierra Red Rock IPA, St. Paul Porter, Pumpkin Ale, Carribou Slobber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Are you making a starter? I would do that to make sure the yeast is ok. I have made starters with smack packs that did not swell up and they turned out fine. Now, they didn't sit in 108* heat all day though.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
ScottishBrewer
Recipes 

The smack packs don't require to swell up all the way, I would make a starter or if you want to play it safe call NB and they can replace it for you.

Tap: Red Headed Step Child Ale
On Deck: American IPA, Rasberry wit, Oatmeal stout

Old 06-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
Zensunni Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 make a nice sized starter. You should be able to tell if the yeast is good from that. With that high temperature the yeast travelled at, the yeast may well be at risk or you could have lost a portion of the colony. To be on the safe side you may want to assume the yeast has lost a bit of viability and make a larger starter than norma to compensatel, or do a two step starter stepping up the yeast in a second starter after you proof it in the first one.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 06-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

From the horse's mouth.

Quote:
From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.
Like others have said, it is really a good idea to make a starter for this. It will reproduce the still viable yeast. And it will also give you more peace of mind, then us speculating whether your yeast is toast (pardon my expression ) or not. If you have a creamy band of yeast on the bottom, or if you are lucky enough to see it krausen, then you know it will work for your beer.

But be aware, it may take a day or so to get going if it's been shocked by the high temps.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply