Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > wyeast1056 floc question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
beanis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default wyeast1056 floc question.

I brewed a red rye ipa about 6 weeks ago. I split the batch and fermented one with the 1056 and the other with safale 04. A weird thing occured. After a week I racked to secondary and they both were clowdy and orangeish as expected. After a day at ~65 deg the 1056 batch cleared and darkened to a nice ruby red while the 04 remained the same orangeish haze. After 2 weeks I dry hopped and the 1056 clouded again and turned the same orangeish haze as the 04 again. I figured this was from the pellet hop addition. After another week I cold crashed for a few days to clear so I could get that nice ruby red color back before bottleing. It never came . So I have a nice orangeish hazy beer wich I guess I chalk up to the beta glutens from the 17% rye. But why did the 1056 clear emediatly after racking then haze back up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Prymal
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The haze you see is most likey from the dry hopping, It is pretty common for beers that are dry hopped to show some amount of haze until they have been properly chilled. Also when you transfered from primary to secondary you are going to stir some of the yeast back up into suspension which will cause some more haze. If I were you I would have left the beer in primary until they were both clear then transfered and dry-hopped at the same time. The reason being you want to leave your beer in primary to allow the yeast to clean up any bad fermenation by-products. Also when you transfer between vessels you introduce oxygen to your beer that wasnt present before. The rule of thumb tends to be Primary for 3-4 weeks then only if adding dry-hops/fruit/oak transfer to seconday for as little time as possible ie: 7-14 days to dry-hop. Then bottle or keg immediatly.

Hope this helps and welcome to HBT.

Desert Basin Brewery
Future Brews:
Fermenting: Desert Basin Pale Ale, Ninkasi Tricerihops Clone
Bottled: Desert Knight RIS, Scottish Winter Warmer
Kegged: Cleaning out the closet Porter
Gallons Brewed 2013: 15
Gallons Brewed 2012: 90.0
Gallons Brewed 2011: 77.5

Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
beanis
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. Before I bottled I. Cold crashed by taking the 2- 5gal carboys out to my garage for 3 days at 35-45deg f. I would think that at some hops and yeast would have precipitated out. That's why I have to think its the longer chained beta glutans from the rye.

Quick Reply