HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast Wyeast Kolsch 1 month primary-extremely cloudy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
BrewMU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wyeast Wyeast Kolsch 1 month primary-extremely cloudy

I'm going to be racking and cold crashing a Kolsch tonight. It has not cleared up a lick in a month (~64 F). I used Wyeast Kolsch, which is labelled low flocculating. Is it normal for this yeast to make the wort opaque until it's cold conditioned, or am I likely looking at an infection?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
binkman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If there isn't a skin on top, I bet its just that the yeast aren't flocculating. Do you know much about your water? If you have low levels of calcium, for instance, or some calcium coarbonate or some such... some trace mineral anyway, that has something to do with calcium... calcium carbonate??... Sorry, can't remember. Point is this: if your low on some trace minerals it only adds to the flocculation problems. I bet cold-crashing will do a lot to clear it up, though, if thats the case.

Bottled: B'more Malty Pale Ale — Orfy's Bitter — Swinging Hammock Summer Kölsch — Dry-Hopped Bitter — Apfelwein — Pumpkin ale — B'more Malty Pale Ale — Kitchen Sink Red — Cider — Spontaneous Cider — Armistice Barleywine

Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
binkman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

BTW, Go Tigers!

Bottled: B'more Malty Pale Ale — Orfy's Bitter — Swinging Hammock Summer Kölsch — Dry-Hopped Bitter — Apfelwein — Pumpkin ale — B'more Malty Pale Ale — Kitchen Sink Red — Cider — Spontaneous Cider — Armistice Barleywine

Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
QuaffableQuips
Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

That yeast strain is impressively non-flocculent and won't drop worth a damn at room temps. Kölsch is traditionally cold-lagered for several weeks, though, so I've always just racked it, clouds and all, to a secondary and dropped the temp to near freezing for about a month. Crystal clear beer after that!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I appreciate it you guys. That is basically what I thought. Fortunately, it's cold outside, so I'll put it in a swamp-cooler set-up in the garage.
This is a test batch for the giveaway Budweiser hops (Saaz).
Appreciate the good word for the Tigers, but they dropped one last night. They can play with anyone if they're hitting shots, but they are a dinky team.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
atchinator
Recipes 

If it's worth anything, I'm also brewing a Kolsch with the same WYeast. I fermented it in a plastic primary fermenter for about a week at about 20C (68F) and then, very carefully, transferred it to a glass carboy leaving a good amount of trub/yeast cake behind. It's been in the carboy for about 3 weeks at about 13C (56F). It is starting to look pretty clear with a thin layer of cake on the bottom. I'll probably bottle it in a week or so.

Quick Reply