The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast or White Labs? New to liquid yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #21
quentin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I prefer to use the Wyeast smack packs, personally. Those complaining about having to smack it and wait are kind of missing the point. You don't *have* to smack it if you don't want. It's pitchable as-is, but it can only help to use the activator. It's not any more or less time. I take it out of my fridge and smack it so it has time to get busy while I'm starting my brew. How is that more time consuming? Dear anyone who said that, please explain? It's better to not shock your yeast with a temperature difference. Smacking it and letting it sit while you brew just allows your yeast temp to be closer to the wort temp.

I've used White Labs vials twice, and both times, they've acted like a shook-up soda bottle and sprayed. I don't want to deal with that. Granted, both yeasts have made great beers.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #22
H22W
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I prefer Wyeast even if only for how the swelling of the bag confirms viability.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I mainly use white labs except for certain strains or the seasonals. 1728 seems to perform better than 28 for instance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #24
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

i always make a starter. Whichever strain I need, regardless of company, is what I brew with.

I personally prefer WLP001 over WY1056, it seems cleaner and more flocculant. I also prefer WLP007 of Brittish Ale II. WLP029 is the best kolsch yeast I have found.

I love WY1275 for English Ales...etc..etc....

Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #25
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proboscidea View Post
I'm a White Labs fan, because before I learned about the value of a starter, I would pitch the stuff directly into the wort. No smack & wait like you must do with Wyeast.

I'm also a White Labs fan for a totally impractical reason: the test tube shaped container. So many alternative uses once the yeast is gone! Use 'em as shot glasses, for example. I have this dream where I eventually start washing yeast from a previous batch, letting it compact in the fridge for a few weeks, pouring off the extra water, and storing the yeast in the test tubes they came from. Circle of life.

But anyway, White Labs, even without a starter, has been a consistent high performer for me, so I gotta give it a thumbs-up.

I think you'll be happy with either.
I am with the test tube crowd. I reuse it with washed yeast, as it already has the label.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
vtchuck

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I'm not using a dry yeast, I use White Labs, because thats what my LHBS carries.

FWIW, White Labs will give you a free vial for every 10 you buy.
You just peel the labels and mail them in.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"I used to have a drinking problem, now I have a hobby."

Primary: Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Spiced Cider
Secondary: MVP Ale
In the Bottles: Maple Sap Mead
In the Kegerators: MVP Ale, Pils
Next: ?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #27
dshay
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

With all of the inputs from you guys I think I am going to try WL001 for my hoppy pale ale that I am going to make.

Also Mr. Malty is a very helpful tool. Thank you for the recommendation everyone, for that reason I will make a small start the night before and shake it every now and then ( no stir plate yet).

Thanks again everyone

As soon as I figure out how to post photos on here I will post some of my brew day and my first attempt at a starter

Cheers

Old 04-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #28
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
I didn't realize that the Wyeast had such a higher cell count - I would assume that could only be a good thing. Both are high quality manufacturers though so you really can't go wrong.

You'll find in general that you just buy whatever is available for the specific recipe you're making.

Also, I know that you're wanting to use liquid, but if you're going to just use WY1056 or WLP001 you might as well just use dry US-05. It's one of the best dry yeasts and the same strain (Chico/Sierra Nevada) as the liquid equivalents. Plus the cell count in the dry is even higher and you definitely don't need a starter - just properly rehydrate.
I find subtle but definite diffences between 05 and the other 2. I've gone back to using 1056 instead of 05.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proboscidea View Post
I'm a White Labs fan, because before I learned about the value of a starter, I would pitch the stuff directly into the wort. No smack & wait like you must do with Wyeast.

I'm also a White Labs fan for a totally impractical reason: the test tube shaped container. So many alternative uses once the yeast is gone! Use 'em as shot glasses, for example. I have this dream where I eventually start washing yeast from a previous batch, letting it compact in the fridge for a few weeks, pouring off the extra water, and storing the yeast in the test tubes they came from. Circle of life.

But anyway, White Labs, even without a starter, has been a consistent high performer for me, so I gotta give it a thumbs-up.

I think you'll be happy with either.
You don't have to smack the Wyeast?

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
You don't have to smack the Wyeast?
No, the yeast is in the outer pack. The bubble thingy you smack is the starter wort. So you could just dump the yeast right out. That said, I've never done that, I've always done the smack-and-wait.

I mostly use WL these days though, for reasons stated - more convenient packaging that is reusable.

Quick Reply