*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > wyeast Trappist high gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
vinper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default wyeast Trappist high gravity

Last week my extract kit from Tallgrass came in the Velvet Rooster. I new I wasnt gonna brew till this weekend so just put the unopened box in the closet ,well ready to go Saterday but the yeast wasn't . never used wyeast before ,so I didnt know I should have put in the fridge immedietly . Broke the starter bag ,The bag sat all day yesterday and didnt bloat or anything . Is it no good or will it come around ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The only way to know is to make a starter. If you don't know how search it.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If you're using trappist high gravity yeast, I'm guessing you're making at least a semi-high gravity brew, so you really should make a starter anyway. Like Pilgarlic said, that's the best way to tell if the yeast is good.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
vinper
Recipes 

well it been sitting two and 1/2 days no bag bloating you think it will really do anything in a starter. Thinking will just go buy new bag. hate to lose two more days waiting .plus I have to pickup DME for the starter.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 166

That is a 1.080 beer. You really do need to make a starter for a beer of that high a gravity. The yeast you have will probably be OK.

For a beer that size you really need a large starter. Check out yeastcalc.com for information on making a stepped up starter.

If you don't make a starter, be prepared to wait several days to see any fermentation activity. The yeast will spend a lot of time in the beginning just to reproduce to cell counts sufficient to ferment the beer.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
vinper
Recipes 

Havent figured out the calculator yet , was thinking the 4 cups water 1 cup dme would do it. when you say you need 1 liter of yeast , I see people decant and then there is just the white line of yeast to use , which is not 1 liter but a % of the liter is that correct?

Old 08-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Molybedenum
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sitting around at room temperature for a few days won't hurt the yeast too much, either.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
rappyfreak
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It can take up to 3 days for the wyeast pouch to bloat, that happened to me with the german wheat yeast, it did bloat up and used it and worked perfectly. If you do not want to make a starter just get another pouch and dump both of them in, double pitch. If still not bloated then call the place you bought it from, if it is from NB (they have the Tallgrass kits), they should change it without cost, that's what they offered to do with my german wheat yeast.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Sometimes Smackpacks will not inflate and are still OK.

To have the proper yeast cell count for that big a beer without making a starter you really need 6-7 packs.

With a single step starter with intermittent shaking you should use 2 packs in about a 3.5L starter. Yeastcalc.com gives the calculations to start from one pack and make it in smaller sizes for each step.

Weighing DME is much more accurate and you would use 350 grams for that starter.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
If you're using trappist high gravity yeast, I'm guessing you're making at least a semi-high gravity brew
He is making a high gravity beer but this yeast is awesome for all sorts of Belgians.

Quick Reply