Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > wyeast smack pack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #21
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrog255 View Post
Ah that explains why it didn't swell, I needed to put it outside and not back in the fridge. I thought I didn't smack it hard it enough.

It turned out okay though b/c something came up and I couldn't brew so just am going to leave it in there until tomorrow or Saturday.

Are airlocks required for yeast starters. I have a flask but it came with foam stoppers. Can I pitch yeast into the flask w/DME and just plug the foam stopper on?
You mean a solid stopper with no hole in it? Definitely not. Just use some sanitized aluminum foil to cover the flask. You just want to keep dust out at this point, but let oxygen in. Using a solid stopper would be a very bad idea becasue fermentation gives off CO2 gas. This will build up pressure until either the stopper pops out like a champange cork or the flask explodes (whicheve comes first).

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #22
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
You mean a solid stopper with no hole in it? Definitely not. Just use some sanitized aluminum foil to cover the flask. You just want to keep dust out at this point, but let oxygen in. Using a solid stopper would be a very bad idea becasue fermentation gives off CO2 gas. This will build up pressure until either the stopper pops out like a champange cork or the flask explodes (whicheve comes first).
It is a foam breathable stopper. There is no hole. Its something like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/f...r-46-60mm.html

They were cheap if something else would work better. I don't need flasks exploding.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #23
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
How long until you will brew. I've seen recommendations of letting the smack pack swell for 2+ days. I would say 3 or even 4 days would not be a problem unless you have high temperatures.
Right now after about 48 hours of pitching I don't see much for fermenting action. There are alot of little bubbles in the airlock and the airlock is up, but no consistent bubbling. If the same tomorrow night I may toss my dry yeast package in the wort.

I smacked it on Thursday but ended up being in the fridge through Sunday due to plans.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Quick Reply