Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast packet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
barleywade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast packet

How long will the yeast be good after the package has been activated? My daughter ended up hiding it before I could make a starter and I found it a week later. Oh well.

Wade

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My guess, and it's really a guess, but, unless it froze or got REALLY warm during that week, go ahead and make a starter and it will be fine.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
barleywade
Recipes 

I will give a shot and make a starter tonight.

Wade

Old 11-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 74

From Wyeast Labs FAQ -7. I popped the inner nutrient pouch and the package swelled tight but I can’t use it right away. What do I do?

If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible. Montanaandy

Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
barleywade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
From Wyeast Labs FAQ -7. I popped the inner nutrient pouch and the package swelled tight but I can’t use it right away. What do I do?

If you have activated a package but can’t use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible. Montanaandy
Good info.

Wade

Quick Reply