The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast Pack not swelling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I usually smack the Activator pack to be sure the yeast is alive/viable... If I'm making a starter (most of the time I do anyway) I'm doing that while the pack is swelling. By the time the starter has cooled down enough, the packet has swelled up nicely. If it hadn't, I'd be taking it back to the LHBS for a replacement...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
If it hadn't, I'd be taking it back to the LHBS for a replacement...
Many homebrew stores don't like Wyeast because they can't sell packs that are partially inflated, and constantly get returns of packs that don't inflate quickly.

They are usually fine in either case. Older smack packs simply take longer to inflate because there is less viable yeast in there. It also depends on the yeast strain to some extent. The only way that a liquid yeast won't perform is if it got frozen or excessively heated. That can be easily checked by doing a starter.
Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Where I typically buy yeast it's fresh enough that if it hasn't swelled within a day, it's probably not going to at all. Typically the people buying the Wyeast there (from what I've seen) have used it before, so they know the drill. Noobs are informed before using it what to expect. They also have a help line (just the phone number for the store) posted online for people to call in with questions. You might be surprised at some of the questions they get asked on that line (from people who have never brewed before)...

Personally, when I'm about to use something for the first time, I get as much info about it as I can before hand. Be that web sites, talking with people that are familiar with it, whatever it takes. Chances are, something new to me is rather old to more than enough people.

As for the OP's pack of yeast... Give it at least a day to see if it swells at all. I would also make sure the nutrient pack was popped and it's mixed in. I know that the first two Wyeast packs I used, I didn't get the nutrient pack to pop. Pitched the yeast and nutrient pack contents into the cooled wort and things ended up just fine. I wouldn't do that again, but that was back during my first two batches of beer ever made...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Davida
Recipes 

I slapped the pack on Saturday to brew Sunday. This is day four. Still no visible swelling and I have kept it at ~70 degrees. I did purchase it from a LHBS. I'm new to the game but everything I have read says to make a starter JIC to ensure your yeast is viable. That way you are assured not to be pitching dead yeast into your wort. I will be doing so from this point forward. I also did not think a couple months was "old" for a yeast pack?

I did follow some advice from HBtalk and had a package of English ale dry yeast on hand, which I used to brew yesterday. My airlock is happily clicking away this AM

Old 03-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2957 Times on 1875 Posts
Likes Given: 2497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davida View Post
I slapped the pack on Saturday to brew Sunday. This is day four. Still no visible swelling and I have kept it at ~70 degrees. I did purchase it from a LHBS. I'm new to the game but everything I have read says to make a starter JIC to ensure your yeast is viable. That way you are assured not to be pitching dead yeast into your wort. I will be doing so from this point forward. I also did not think a couple months was "old" for a yeast pack?

I did follow some advice from HBtalk and had a package of English ale dry yeast on hand, which I used to brew yesterday. My airlock is happily clicking away this AM
I would return / exchange it. Couple of months is not that old.

Quick Reply