Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast Pack not swelling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Davida
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast Pack not swelling

I am preparing to brew my 5TH batch of home brew today, a pale ale.
Last night I smacked the Wyeast #1028 London Ale and this AM there is no visible sign of swelling. This is third time I have used a Wyeast liquid package and have not seen this before. Every other time the package swelled up as advertised.

Should I replace the yeast before brewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
JasonInBTR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Interesting. What is the date on the pack? I'm still a newb but in my dozen or so brews I haven't had a bad smack pack yet. Do you have something to build up a starter in? That would at least proof viability.

Jason

Primary - Barleywine, APA, IPA, Strawberry, Pumpkin
Secondary -
Kegged - Raspberry Wheat
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck -

Old 03-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
HubahHubah
Recipes 

You slapped it, but did the inner pack break?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Davida
Recipes 

Yes, the pack broke but still no action. The date on the pack is 19-Dec-2010. Weird, I've used Wyeast packs in three previous brews with no issue.

I did some research and found a similar string on the HBtalk site. It led me to Mrmalty.com which happens to have a program for calculating the pitch rate in starters (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html). The program contains a calculation for viability of a Wyeast pack based on age. I was surprised to find out that my pack is already considered to be only 46% viable based on the date. The program says I would need a second Wyeast pack to make a starter to properly ferment the 5 gallon batch.

I will return this one and will be using some dry yeast I have on hand. Check out Mr. Malty. Lots of good info...

Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

With the pack being almost three months old, you need to give it TIME to swell. Where is it sitting now? Did you shake it to mix the nutrient in with the yeast?

I believe that Wyeast says to give it an extra day per month of age for the packet. So, three days for three month old yeast...

A starter would be a good idea too... I would plan on brewing in a few days, not today.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3480 Times on 2154 Posts
Likes Given: 2988

Every pack I've used bloated within 24 hours (most in much less than that) except one. It was 6 months old and took two full days. It made fine beer.

Try not to accept old smack packs.

It's possible that your smack pack was frozen at some point. If it never bloats, don't use it.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

And don't toss it out either... Take it back to where you got it from (assuming it's from a LHBS)... Or contact the vendor you bought it from. They should provide you with a replacement pack if it never swells. I think they draw the line after about 6 months, but it should still be good yeast.

If the LHBS didn't store it properly, then you're fighting a losing battle.

Personally, I won't by a Wyeast pack that's more than a few weeks old. I'll get the LHBS to order more, fresh, yeast for me before I buy something older than I'm comfortable with. Of course, where I get my yeast they have a high enough turn-over that it's never been an issue.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have used a smack pack that was more than 6 months old and made good beer with it. I did make a starter though.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I have an old ale that's stalled out that I used a two or three month old Wyeast pack of 1028. Of course, mine started swelling within a few hours.

In truth, it's not completely the yeasts fault. I needed a 2.5 liter starter, but only had a 2 liter vessel available at the time. Good enough, I thought. I hit it with a heavy dose of oxygen, but being a 1.095 beer I wanted to hit it again at 12 hours, but missed my window. Ah well, I thought, I should be fine. Heck, I added yeast nutrient to help it along, I NEVER do that!!!

So, here I am kicking myself!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

*Ahem*

From the horse's mouth.

Quote:
From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.
You don't even really have to smack if you don't want to if you are making a starter, but you definitely don't need to wait for it to inflate. It sound's like you need to be making a decent sized starter, so that's the time you need to factor for, not whether it needs to be smacked or not.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply