The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast Manufacture Date and Mr. Malty Pitch Rate Calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
brewphilly18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast Manufacture Date and Mr. Malty Pitch Rate Calculator

I have a smack pack manufactured on June 29, 2009. Wyeast guarantees the viability of their yeast for 6 months after the manufacture date. However, when I enter the date into Mr. Malty it says that the viability is 26% and that a minimum of 2 packs are needed to achieve a cell count of 194 billion (for a 1.053 OG beer).

Are the viability/starter size accurate? Is it necessary to use multiple packs or to step up the starter using one pack, or can I just make a starter as I normally would (calculated with the default viability setting on Mr. Malty)?

I've never entered the manufacture date of the yeast into the calculator and have not had problems with my starters in the past, but wanted to see if anybody has any thoughts/advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Your yeast is fine. Mr. Malty is insane for telling you to buy two packages. I'd just make a step starter to be safe.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sounds like the actual question is:

What % viability does Wyeast guarantee for their yeasts at 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, etc.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is Wyeast's warranty:

Our Product Warranty states that we guarantee the viability of the yeast in our Activator™ packages for 6 months from the manufacture date assuming that they have been properly shipped, stored and handled.... During this 6 month guaranteed shelf life, some loss of viability is to be expected. This will vary from one strain to another.

Either way you are going to make beer. Yay! But if you follow Mr. Malty you will probably make better beer....

Old 10-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
brewphilly18
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.berta View Post

Either way you are going to make beer. Yay!
Very true

I plan to make the step up starter as Suthrncomfrt1884 suggested. The first step will be to make a starter using Mr. Malty's calculations with the 6/29/09 date to get to the equivalent of one new smack pack i.e. ~100 billion cells. The second step will be to make a starter using Mr. Malty's calculations with today's date to get to the target cell count and assuming that my first step starter = 1 smack pack.

Quick Reply