The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast equivalent to Danstar Nottingham?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
fotomatt1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wyeast equivalent to Danstar Nottingham?

Just curious what a good Wyeast equivalent to Danstar Nottingham there is. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
hopdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I use Nottingham for everything, ales, stouts, even pseudo lagers. It's a very neutral low ester production, fast yeast. 1056 is going to be the Wyeast "do all" neutral ale yeast for 4 times the price.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
HSM
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

there is no equal

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis."
www.TheFreeSpeak.com

Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

london ale?

Quote:
Rich with a dry finish, minerally profile, bold and crisp, with some fruitiness. Often used for higher gravity ales and when a high level of attenuation is desired for the style.
sounds pretty similar to me.
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 02-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I don't think 1028 (London Ale) is very similar to Nottingham. Yes, it finishes dry, and compared with most British yeasts has very little fruitiness, but it has oodles of character that isn't present in Nottingham.
I think (like faststage1 said) that 1056 is the closest I've tried (but there are many I haven't tried). They both ferment very cleanly, producing a beer where the yeast doesn't contribute any special flavors to the final brew.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I don't think 1028 (London Ale) is very similar to Nottingham. Yes, it finishes dry, and compared with most British yeasts has very little fruitiness, but it has oodles of character that isn't present in Nottingham.
I think (like faststage1 said) that 1056 is the closest I've tried (but there are many I haven't tried). They both ferment very cleanly, producing a beer where the yeast doesn't contribute any special flavors to the final brew.

-a.
I should admit, i've never brewed with the London ale yeast. I'll believe ajf before the wyeast quip anyday.
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
fotomatt1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, so maybe I should try the Nottingham, but a few questions first. I've never used a dry yeast, so I have to work outside my comfort zone. I've heard some people say you don't need a starter with dry yeast. Is this true? I've also never made a starter and was planning on it for my next brew. What's the process for making a starter with dry yeast? Do you need to rehydrate before pitching into your starter? What is the rehydration process for dry yeast? Sorry for being so ignorant...just trying to take my brewing to the next level, so I'll be doing several things that I've never done before. Partial mash, starter, and possibly dry yeast!!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

don't do a starter for dry yeast. i would recommend rehydrating it prior to use (others will say just dump it in, which seems to work too), but rehydrating will maximize the cell count. nottingham is a champ, definitely try it.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #9
hopdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post
What is the rehydration process for dry yeast?
I use a single sachet up to gravities of 1.050. Works best if you follow the rehydration process.
http://www.danstaryeast.com/tds/nottingham.pdf

Old 02-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post
Just curious what a good Wyeast equivalent to Danstar Nottingham there is. Any suggestions?
IMO 1028 London Ale is about as close as you are going to get to Nottingham. They are both British strains with high levels of attenuation. If you sub one for the other you will be fine. In Brewing Classic Styles Jamil lists Nottingham as the dry substitute for Wyeast 1028

Quick Reply