Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast didn't inflate! (schwarzbier)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
hagbardceline
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast didn't inflate! (schwarzbier)

Today I brewed a schwarzbier, OG 1.048.

I bought two packets of yeast because I haven't gotten to making starters.

It's currently in the fridge cooling down to 45F

The back of the Wyeast package says that one is good for a 1.060 beer but in the brew strong podcasts they seem to say 1 package is good for a 1.040 beer........

I oxygenated with pure oxygen.

What I'm wondering is:

Should I pitch one pack once it hits 45F and get a new package at my LHBS in the morning and pitch it 8 - 12 hours after the first pack?

Not pitch until I have both packages (15 - 16 hours)?

Just pitch one pack?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4465 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 868

You need at least two packages to pitch at lager temperatures- five would probably be correct with no starter. If you didn't make a stater, you could pitch more yeast tomorrow if you have it available.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.
Smacking though fun, is never really necessary.

Making the starter is all that matters, not whether or not the pack inflating. It's fine!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
hagbardceline
Recipes 

Revvy - what I'm wondering is - I smacked but nothing happened so I'm worried that package might be dead / bad?

Yooper - do you think I should get a few more packs anyway? Otherwise attenuation and acetaldehyde problems?

This is my first lager...

Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Fnord
Make a starter, and you will see if you're yeast is viable or not.....Many smack packs don't inflate....so it's really NOT a good indication of what the yeast is doing or not.
Fnord

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Most of my Activators have inflated; a few have not. All have fermented good beer. The only yeast I've had that did nothing after it was pitched was my most recent batch. Pitched a package of Nottingham this past Monday with an expiration of 12/11 and......nothing. Waited 72 hours, took a hydrometer reading (read=OG) and pitched another pack, and off it went. It's happily bubbling away down there now.

Yeast is a living organism. The only ways to make sure it's going to ferment are either:

1. pitch and find out.

2. Make a starter and you'll know if it works or not before you pitch.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply