Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast Ardennes 3522

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Wyeast Ardennes 3522

I'll start off by saying I've had lots of trouble with certain wyeast strains. I'd pitch them, and fermentation wouldn't start for 48-36 hours. I don't like allowing my wort to go that long without fermentation simply because I've had an infected batch because of it. The wild yeast took hold before the wyeast had a chance to kick in.

So...that being said... I brewed a Belgian Dubbel last weekend and pitched a 2L starter of Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey. I pitched at 60 degrees and set my fermentation temps to 64. After 48 hours and no activity in the airlock, I decided to take a hyrdometer reading just to check. There was no krausen, no drop, nothing. I've heard this yeast is a fairly slow starter, and even Wyeast admits to it, so I wasn't overly worried. I decided though, in order to prevent contamination, to pitch a different yeast while waiting for the 1214 to kick in.

I decided on Wyeat 3522 Ardennes. I didn't make a starter, because I didn't want to overpitch. I suppose my post is because I'm curious if anyone has used this yeast before? I'd like to know what kind of flavors it lends to the beer. Is it the typical banana estery flavors, or is there more to it? It's fermenting away, so that's great. I asked the guy at the LHBS if he'd used it before, and he said he didn't know of ANYONE who had. I'm hoping for something magical to take place with the mixure of 1214 and 3522.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ardennes gives a very clean "flat" taste when controlled correctly. I haven't ever noticed the bananas that I have with other Belgian strains. I have a pack in my fridge right now that I am going to use one of these days.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

3522 Ardennes is the same strain as WLP550, from Achouffe. It's slightly fruity, slightly spicy, and somewhat nutty. Definitely no banana or bubble gum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used Wyeast 3522 recently.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wyeast-3522-belgian-ardennes-141451/

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Good to know. Thanks everyone.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
nicknunns
Recipes 

I just used this on a heavily modified (and well out of style) dubbel and it took off like a ROCKET. Visible activity in 4 hours. I'm really looking forward to tasting this once it's done working.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

The Ardennes yeast is one of my favorite. It has a great spiciness and its very clean. Just won first place at a comp with a very simple Belgian pale ale that used the Ardennes. Goes GREAT with Styrian Goldings...

Old 12-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #8
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

I'm liking my idea of adding 3522 more and more. It's still chugging away right now...been that way since yesterday around noon. I'm going to give it a few more days at 63-64 and then bump it up to 68 to finish it out. I don't want to go too high with the temps since I used 1214 too. I've got really high expectations of this brew...

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I asked the guy at the LHBS if he'd used it before, and he said he didn't know of ANYONE who had.
I just saw this part of your original post. I had pretty much the same situation when I first purchased this yeast. I don't think its incredibly popular (from the LHBS experience and from perusing recipe sites, etc.), although I'm sure plenty of people on here have used it. You should definitely try another beer with only the Ardennes some time in the future to get a feel for just that yeast.

Quick Reply