Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3944 Sulphur Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Wyeast 3944 Sulphur Taste

A recent white IPA I brewed has too much sulphur taste to it despite my fermenting at the low end (62-64F) of the temp scale.

The beer has been kegged. If I leave it at room temperature for a few weeks wll this sulphur subside? Or do I need to lager it? Or am I stuck with a sulphurous beer?

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

You'll need to lager it for a while. CO2 is a good hydrogen sulfide carrier, so allowing it to lager in a secondary with an airlock might be your best choice.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The beer is already kegged but it is not sitting on gas, it was transfered, sealed and filled it a couple times with CO2 (Bleeding inbetween fills.)

I don't know if transferring to a carboy as a secondary is a good idea at this point, won't I risk infection and too much exposure to oxygen?

As a safer alternative perhaps just lagering as is in the keg might disapate some of the sulphur?

One question I have related to this -- if CO2 carries sulphur well then wouldn't it be best to keep the keg warm (the thinking being that CO2 dissolves better into cold liquid, the warmer it is the less absorbtion take place.)

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Quick Reply