Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3787 -- sweet but dry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Wyeast 3787 -- sweet but dry?

I was curious if anyone else has ever had this experience with 3787. I brewed up a Belgian Dark using 3787 as my yeast. OG around 1.078 and it attenuated down to 1.010. Recipe was:

14 lbs. Belgian pale
0.25 lb Crystal 40L
0.25 lb Crystal 10L
0.25 lb CaraVienne
0.25 lb CaraPils
0.25 lb Belgian Special "B"
2 lbs. Amber candi syrup during primary fermentation

1.25 oz Styrian Goldings (60 min)

Mashed at 149 for 90 minutes. Pitched a huge starter and fermented between 68-73.

I just bottled this weekend and was somewhat surprised by the taste. This thing has been fermenting since January 9: two weeks in primary and then the rest in secondary. When I tasted it, the beer was sort of sweet, but also dry. Very complex with fruity undertones, but the sweetness is what surprised me (and not in a bad way).

I guess my main question is whether this surprises anybody else? For having such great attenuation and low FG, the sweetness sort of came out of nowhere for me. Is it totally attributable to the yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

bump, interested in hearing from others as I have a dark strong ale going right now with this yeast with an OG of 1105. I am VERY encouraged by your results. Today is eight days after pitching and the yeast is still moving around quite vigorously. I've gradually upped the ambient temp from 64 to 68 after the first three days. When it starts to slow I will probably put it on a heating pad on low.

My recipe looked a lot like yours although my two pounds of sugar was .75 dark syrup (D1 bag) and 1.25 sucrose. After brewing I read you should incrementally add the sugar during the primary so I'm hoping I get anywhere near your attenuation.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 02-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
My recipe looked a lot like yours although my two pounds of sugar was .75 dark syrup (D1 bag) and 1.25 sucrose. After brewing I read you should incrementally add the sugar during the primary so I'm hoping I get anywhere near your attenuation.
From what I've read, the main reason for adding incrementally is just to avoid off flavors produced by overstressing the yeast. I did a dubbel back in August that started out very hot (i.e., noticeable alcohol flavor) when I bottled, and I'm pretty sure that's because I didn't have enough yeast to start and I added all the sugar syrup at the very beginning. I can happily report now, though, that it has evolved into my favorite batch ever. It was pretty damn good to start, but now it is incredible.

I'll post on this thread to let you know the final result. First "official" taste will probably be in three weeks or so, but I really liked this sucker so far.

Last edited by heywolfie1015; 02-23-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
joety

Recipes 

Unfortunately mine only dropped to 1031 after four weeks after starting at 1105. If anyone has any ideas on how to further attenuate it, let me know. I may start by insulating my heat box and see how hot I can get it.

Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC

Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
bsteab0yz
Recipes 

bump... joety, how did this beer turn out? I started at that exact specific gravity of 1105 and ended at 1032. Did you ever get it to attenuate further?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywolfie1015 View Post
I guess my main question is whether this surprises anybody else? For having such great attenuation and low FG, the sweetness sort of came out of nowhere for me. Is it totally attributable to the yeast?
Ethanol is pretty sweet, and from your OG and the amount of attenuation you got, there's enough of it in there for the alcohol sweetness to come through and be present alongside the malt.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
DBear
Recipes 

I agree with indigi.

I brewed a 1.080 tripel with wlp530 that finished at 1.010. It was somewhat dry but also sweet from the alc. Its a good beer but not what I expected.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 AM   #8
joety

Recipes 

Still stuck at 1031. I am going to try a lager yeast in a week or so. It's been sitting in a keg for months.

Lagering in Kegs - None

Old 12-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have you tasted it? It might be fine at 1.031. If not, though, make sure to pitch a big starter, on par with what you'd have pitched for the original brew, because it'll be dealing with a nutrient and food depleted environment surrounded by alcohol.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
joety

Recipes 

The problem is I need to pitch at full kreuzen, so I won't be making a gallon starter as I don't want to dilute the beer that much. I'll likely go 2 quarts. I have tasted it (I always drink the hydrometer sample) and it is underattenuated when compared to the real thing.

Lagering in Kegs - None

Quick Reply