Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3787

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Mantis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wyeast 3787

Just had a quick question for anyone that has used this yeast in the past.

I brewed a 2 gallon batch of the northern brewer Patersbier recipe, and pitched a whole activator pack of wyeast 3787. Took off pretty quickly, and had consistent airlock activity for close to a week.

Fast forward to 3 weeks from pitching, Bottling time (Primary for 3 weeks, no secondary). When I took the lid off the bucket it looked just like the picture on post #7 in this thread. I didn't mess with it at all, so I don't have a FG, but assuming this is done fermenting, can I go ahead and bottle, or should wait for the krausen to fall? Also, if anyone knows, is this normal behavior for this yeast strain?

Thanks

Primary: IPA
Primary: Smoked Porter (My first recipe built by me!)
Secondary: Why?
Bottled: Apfelwein, DeathBrewers Franziskaner Dunkel Clone, Brownie Porter, Patersbier, Nut Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 52

[Obi-wan] Luuuuuuke! Use the hydrometer! [/Obi-wan]

I've used it for a dubbel and it was done after a week. It didn't have as much scum as that picture, but it wasn't super clear on top either.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Many Belgian and Weizen yeasts are top-cropping yeasts and form an extremely thick, mousse-like krausen that's mostly yeast. Sometimes they are so thick they don't fall although that has never happened to me. But I usually relocate the carboy after the vigorous fermentation and often move it a little during fermentation to insert or fish out an ice pack from the water bath, just that little bit of agitation could be enough to get it to fall.

I would think if you get a good hydro reading that it would be best to rack from underneath it and go. If it were to fall now a lot of that yeast would go back into suspension and you'd prob have to wait a while for it to clear again. But I'm just guessing since it hasn't happened to me and I don't bottle.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Mantis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds good, thanks for the feedback guys!

Bottled: Apfelwein, DeathBrewers Franziskaner Dunkel Clone, Brownie Porter, Patersbier, Nut Brown

Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
I brewed a 2 gallon batch of the northern brewer Patersbier recipe, and pitched a whole activator pack of wyeast 3787. Took off pretty quickly, and had consistent airlock activity for close to a week.
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of the NB Patersbier recipe in July using Wyeast 3787. The krausen did settle after two weeks but it took a while. This yeast strain is very slow to flocculate but it will given time. I gave it two weeks in the primary and one week in the secondary but wish I would have given it a few more weeks to let it clear better. Final Gravity was 1.006 from an OG of 1.047 so my attenuation was great.

This turned out to be one of my favorite beers to date. It's nice, crisp and dry with lots of complexity, especially considering it's a single malt.

Reason: Fixed typo.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Mantis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gnome,

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. What temps were you fermenting at? mine have been around 70 degrees F.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
Gnome,

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. What temps were you fermenting at? mine have been around 70 degrees F.
I pitched at 59F and let it free rise up to 78F (took about 2 days). I left it at 78F after that.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
Mantis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGnome6 View Post
I pitched at 59F and let it free rise up to 78F (took about 2 days). I left it at 78F after that.
Ok cool, i'm going to go ahead and warm it up a bit, hopefully that will help the krausen fall and fermentation finish.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I use this yeast a lot in belgian dark strong's and have had great results. Though as said above, you need to let this yeast sit in the primary until the krausen subsides and the yeast flocculates. I usually let the beer sit in the primary for three weeks with this yeast - it gives it time to attenuate fully and will leave you with clear beer. I have had beers go from 1.095 to 1.008 with this yeast.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
Mantis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
I usually let the beer sit in the primary for three weeks with this yeast - it gives it time to attenuate fully and will leave you with clear beer. I have had beers go from 1.095 to 1.008 with this yeast.
That's why I was curious if anyone still had a thick krausen after sitting in the primary for 3 weeks, it just didn't seem normal to me. So the krausen will drop eventually, correct?

Quick Reply