Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale yeast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #1
Dukester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale yeast.

Have a local comp coming up that requires using the above yeast and I can't seem to find a lot of info regarding appropriate style recipes. The second requirement of the comp is brewing within Cat 16 or 18 of the BJCP. Is this a yeast that can be successfully used with any of the styles in those categories or is it better suited to just a few? I'm also concerned with being able to maintain the high 80F+ temps this yeast seems to like in the chilly Pac NW winter. I don't mind investing in some temp control gear if necessary.

Any hints, tips or other info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dukester

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

On Deck - Scottish Wee Heavy (All grain)
Primary - Scottish Wee Heavy (Extract)
Secondary - Empty
In the keg - Shop Floor Malt Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
FishNaBowl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You must mean the Cheers for Belgian Beer Fest. Me, too. I've been trying to find more information on this yeast. Not a regular one so only info I find is the small description. If you haven't reviewed the BJCP style guides for the categories, I think these may be helpful to finding the best suit. This yeast will fit better in certain categories like the Saison but can probably extend across OK.

You will get different characteristics across the temperature range. I saw an email from Wyeast in another forum that said the optimum fermentation temp is 90F for this one. I found a nice Belgian guide on White Labs that gives the different characteristics for their Belgian strains across the different temperature ranges. It may be useful for this even though they don't have an equivalent.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see you there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply