The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3724 - Here We Go Again...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Montanaandy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Wyeast 3724 - Here We Go Again...

I am a glutton for punishment - I am attempting to use 3724 once again and once again I am running into the SOS that I always do when using this yeast. If the end product was not as great as it is I would have ditched this yeast long ago.

I had some washed yeast that worked much better but the mason jar lid buckled and compromised the yeast so I had to start from scratch with a new smack pack. Not good.

Brewed a Saison on 12/23/10 with an OG of 1.078 and as of yesterday I was stuck around 1.030 (refrac reading converted). Started in the mid-high 80's and I have been keeping this in the 90's for the last 2+ weeks but the gravity has not gone down at all during the last 2 weekly readings that I have taken.

I do have a pack of 3711 which I can build up with a starter and pitch although I would rather not. I can wait longer if necessary with the 3724 but it just seems that I am wasting time/resources. Is there anything else that I am missing/can do to get this kickstarted again or should I throw in the towel and pitch the 3711. I read the threads where people claim to have reached terminal gravity in a few weeks at lower temps and I just cannot figure out why the first gen of this yeast sticks on me every time. Thanks, Montanaandy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1512 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 52719

When I used it recently, I just forgot about the beer for 3 months while it was in the primary and when I kegged it, it was at final gravity and, thus far, is my best Saison to date!

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

I too feel your pain, but I've found with that yeast I always do better if I start at a much lower temperature and gradually ramp it up. I'll pitch at 68, keep it there for three days or so, and start adding 2-3 degrees per day (watching gravity) until I'm up into the mid-80s. I'm not sure why it works better, but when I've started hot I've always ended up having to fight to get past 65% attenuation. Starting at 68, that first 65% comes much slower, but then it doesn't stop until it gets to 85%

Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Just out of curiosity, any reason why you're avoiding the 3711? A pretty good brewer in my local club brought a saison he'd fermented with 3711 and it was possibly the best saison I've ever tasted. He noted how easy the 3711 was to work with.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Default Wyeast 3724 vs. 3711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Just out of curiosity, any reason why you're avoiding the 3711? A pretty good brewer in my local club brought a saison he'd fermented with 3711 and it was possibly the best saison I've ever tasted. He noted how easy the 3711 was to work with.
I have only used 3711 once before and I didn't have adequate temp control at that time and I ramped it up too high so the beer turned out badly (I also used Sorachi Ace hops and perhaps that had something to do with it too - who knows).

I was hoping to save the 3711 to make another Saison instead of having to use it to jump start the 3724. I am anxious to brew again with the 3711 because of all of the positive feedback and to use it correctly this time around. I use the 3724 mainly because my LHBS caries it and not the 3711 for some reason. Montanaandy

Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Default The Waiting Is The Hardest Part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
When I used it recently, I just forgot about the beer for 3 months while it was in the primary and when I kegged it, it was at final gravity and, thus far, is my best Saison to date!
Yeah, I think that I may just tuck it away in a corner of the brewery, keep it on the heat and take a gravity reading periodically until it eventually drops. Out of sight out of mind. Montanaandy

Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That strain for some reason hates working above 90*F. Lower it into the ~88* range, give the fermenter a little rock/swirl and see what happens. This was a problem I ran into on my last saison and I read somewhere that while these yeasts perform like champs at higher temps, they stall out and refuse to work anymore if it gets TOO warm.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
I have only used 3711 once before and I didn't have adequate temp control at that time and I ramped it up too high so the beer turned out badly (I also used Sorachi Ace hops and perhaps that had something to do with it too - who knows).

I was hoping to save the 3711 to make another Saison instead of having to use it to jump start the 3724. I am anxious to brew again with the 3711 because of all of the positive feedback and to use it correctly this time around. I use the 3724 mainly because my LHBS caries it and not the 3711 for some reason. Montanaandy
Got it! I do know that, handled correctly, 3711 does seem to produce a nice beer.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Default Will Give A Try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigi View Post
That strain for some reason hates working above 90*F. Lower it into the ~88* range, give the fermenter a little rock/swirl and see what happens. This was a problem I ran into on my last saison and I read somewhere that while these yeasts perform like champs at higher temps, they stall out and refuse to work anymore if it gets TOO warm.
That is interesting. I have also read various posts where some have hit terminal gravity with 90'+ temps from the beginning and others have been able to keep it in the mid-upper 70's - low 80's and have it eventually hit TG although it takes longer.

I was looking at my Farmhouse Ales book (again) and it reiterated that Dupont cranks up the heat initially (85-95'F) in order to speed the process so that they can brew again (space limitations) and then dials it down into the 70's for conditioning.

At this point I am just going to dial it down into the mid - low 80's and let it sit all by itself in the corner until it decides to cooperate...

Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They probably ferment under pressure as well, or at least more pressure than we generate in the average bucket/carboy, which has noticeable effects on different strains of yeast.

Maybe if you start it around the high 80s/low 90s it's not so finicky about the high temperatures. That'd be an interesting experiment to do if the strain didn't take so darn long to get its work done.

Quick Reply