Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison - they were right!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #181
llama_boy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Starting my 3724 saga.

<Sep-30-12> I brewed a small saison (1.048) and pitched the cake of a big 3L starter into 5 gallons. Wort was at 75F and fully oxygenated with O2. Let it sit for a day at 75F until I had active airlock activity, about 1/sec. Just set the ramp-up from 75F-90F over the next 8 days. I'll be taking daily reading.. We shall see..

Forgot to mention, I mashed a little too high at 152F for 90mins and the grain bill is 100% barley. This will likely reduce my terminal gravity but I hope to still see 1.007.

<Update Oct-17-12> Even with the healthy starter, pure O2, and precise temperature control starting at 75* and slowly ramping to 84* (decided to stop there) I have a stuck fermentation at 1.022. I roused the yeast and after a few hour there is no new airlock activity. The sample tastes very good with a great saison profile so I am considering finishing with either 1056 or a dry wine yeast. I'll give it a few days before pitching another yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #182
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_boy View Post
Starting my 3724 saga.

<Sep-30-12> I brewed a small saison (1.048) and pitched the cake of a big 3L starter into 5 gallons. Wort was at 75F and fully oxygenated with O2. Let it sit for a day at 75F until I had active airlock activity, about 1/sec. Just set the ramp-up from 75F-90F over the next 8 days. I'll be taking daily reading.. We shall see..

Forgot to mention, I mashed a little too high at 152F for 90mins and the grain bill is 100% barley. This will likely reduce my terminal gravity but I hope to still see 1.007.

<Update Oct-17-12> Even with the healthy starter, pure O2, and precise temperature control starting at 75* and slowly ramping to 84* (decided to stop there) I have a stuck fermentation at 1.022. I roused the yeast and after a few hour there is no new airlock activity. The sample tastes very good with a great saison profile so I am considering finishing with either 1056 or a dry wine yeast. I'll give it a few days before pitching another yeast.

How did this end up?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #183
makisupa
Recipes 

Hi all. I've been experimenting with 3724 for a couple years and I think I can offer some very helpful advice:

Chill your saison to 85 degrees
Ferment at 92 degrees for three weeks
Age at 55 degrees for two weeks
Carbonate
DONE!

I get great, consistent results from 3724 with this technique. After you pitch at 85, put your carboy in a fermentation chamber and set it to 92 from the get go. It'll ramp up to that temp and then let it sit there. Fermentation should take off in a couple hours and you'll get to 1.000 or close in three weeks. Rack to secondary and go two weeks at 55. I then chill to 38, force carb and serve.

JONATHAN HEALEY | CINEMATOGRAPHER - EDITOR
A VIEW OF YOU | FAST, NIMBLE, RELIABLE PRODUCTION
W: AVIEWOFYOU.TV | FB: FACEBOOK.COM/AVIEWOFYOU

ON TAP: Damn The Man Black IPA, Compo Kiwi IPA
SECONDARY: Saison Vin, Saison Zin, Compo Tripel
PRIMARY:

Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #184
slcdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Great thread! I'm brewing my first saison tonight with 3724 and read through the entire thread. I'm going to try to control temperature with a water bath and aquarium heater. I plan to pitch at 70-75F and then ramp up the temp a few degrees each day until above 85F. Not sure if I can go higher - first time fermenting at this high of temp.

My question is I'm fermenting in a bucket. I've read not to ferment in a bucket for more than 4 weeks (and this is my general practice) due to all the head space. Can I transfer to secondary at 4 weeks if its not finished yet or do I need to wait until its done? Will it finish in the secondary or do I need the yeast cake? I was thinking I could try to swirl the bottom and transfer as much yeast as possible into the secondary.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #185
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcdawg
My question is I'm fermenting in a bucket. I've read not to ferment in a bucket for more than 4 weeks (and this is my general practice) due to all the head space. Can I transfer to secondary at 4 weeks if its not finished yet or do I need to wait until its done? Will it finish in the secondary or do I need the yeast cake? I was thinking I could try to swirl the bottom and transfer as much yeast as possible into the secondary.
What is the problem with head space in a bucket? What reasons are given for this being problematic?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #186
SnidelyWhiplash
Recipes 

does anyone understand how to control the flavor you get from the yeast? I made a starter on a stir plate at 78 and after chilling and decanting, the starter liquid had a great fruity flavor. The actual beer was pitched at 78, let it rise to 80 for 2 weeks and brought the temp up to about 90 to finish it. I got a lot more of the spicy character out of the yeast than fruity, which I think would have been better. I left it in primary for 5 weeks and it was finished.

lots of headspace in a bucket for secondary or aging would allow more oxygenation. after the initial fermentation the beer isn't pumping out CO2 and you want to minimize exposure to oxygen.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #187
beauvafr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Have you guys successfully sugar-carbonated you beer with 3724 without adding yeast at bottling?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #188
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvafr View Post
Have you guys successfully sugar-carbonated you beer with 3724 without adding yeast at bottling?
Yes, do it all the time with no problems.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #189
ShartAttack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I ordered the Northern Brewer Saison extract kit and Wyeast 3724 without doing any homework. Hey, it's my 6th brew and it's like every other yeast, right?

Once I read about all the issues, I put the thermostat in my apartment up to ~76F. It's a small apartment so I didn't really want to crank up the heat quite yet so I was going to see how far I could get without having to utilize some sort of heater. Here are my gravity readings so far:

5/1/2013 PM, OG @1.055
5/3/2013 PM, @1.042
5/4/2013 AM, @1.036
5/5/2013 AM, @1.032
5/6/2013 AM, @1.029

My question for the more experienced here, am I past the hump? I've been getting plenty of airlock activity since about 2 hours after I pitched my smack pack. There was still a thin layer of krausen on top of the beer this morning. I'm fine with having to wait a while for it to dry out, but I just don't want to have to turn our spare bedroom into a sauna to get there

Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #190
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShartAttack View Post
So I ordered the Northern Brewer Saison extract kit and Wyeast 3724 without doing any homework. Hey, it's my 6th brew and it's like every other yeast, right?

Once I read about all the issues, I put the thermostat in my apartment up to ~76F. It's a small apartment so I didn't really want to crank up the heat quite yet so I was going to see how far I could get without having to utilize some sort of heater. Here are my gravity readings so far:

5/1/2013 PM, OG @1.055
5/3/2013 PM, @1.042
5/4/2013 AM, @1.036
5/5/2013 AM, @1.032
5/6/2013 AM, @1.029

My question for the more experienced here, am I past the hump? I've been getting plenty of airlock activity since about 2 hours after I pitched my smack pack. There was still a thin layer of krausen on top of the beer this morning. I'm fine with having to wait a while for it to dry out, but I just don't want to have to turn our spare bedroom into a sauna to get there
Wow. 5 days and you have checked the gravity 4 times. Just let it be for a while and let the yeast do its job.

3724 does like it hot to finish. I use a cooler filled with water and an aquarium heater to get the temps up and keep them up.

Quick Reply