The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison - they were right!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 AM   #101
Montanaandy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Well I took a gravity reading this evening and I am down to 1.014 from 1.026 after adding some Notty. I added a Brew Mat underneath the BB in addition to the heating pad on the side + insulation to give it one last blast of heat and I am getting some airlock activity so I am going to sit tight for a few more days before I keg it. Gravity sample tasted really nice. Going to brew another Saison with 3711 tomorrow and look forward to an easier time (hopefully). Montanaandy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #102
mrmekon
Recipes 

I just took the first reading on my saison using this yeast, 1.018 after 32 days. My airlock is still bubbling once every few seconds, as it has been all month. This sucker is slooooow, but the hydro sample tasted spectacular. Mine has been dancing up and down between 72F and 80F.

Bottled : Holy Matrimony Saison, Ghost Stout (extract), Blood Orange Hefeweisen, Oatmeal Stout, Willamette SMaSH lager, EdWort's Apfelwein, Scottish Export, Cascade SMaSH, Amarillo SMaSH, Ghost Stout (partial mash), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cranberry Wheat, Habanero American Ale, Belgian Christmas Ale

Old 07-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #103
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2495

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmekon View Post
I just took the first reading on my saison using this yeast, 1.018 after 32 days. My airlock is still bubbling once every few seconds, as it has been all month. This sucker is slooooow, but the hydro sample tasted spectacular. Mine has been dancing up and down between 72F and 80F.
That would be a very high FG for a saison.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #104
mrmekon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
That would be a very high FG for a saison.
I'm certainly not implying it's done! Just pointing out that it can keep chugging away for over a month despite high krausen within 24 hours. I was hoping to bottle in 2 weeks, but if it's going to ferment this slowly that might not be possible.
Bottled : Holy Matrimony Saison, Ghost Stout (extract), Blood Orange Hefeweisen, Oatmeal Stout, Willamette SMaSH lager, EdWort's Apfelwein, Scottish Export, Cascade SMaSH, Amarillo SMaSH, Ghost Stout (partial mash), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cranberry Wheat, Habanero American Ale, Belgian Christmas Ale

Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #105
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've used this yeast quite a few times with less than stellar results until the last batch I did, which I started at 90 degrees and let it ride there until it was done a few weeks later. Got it super dry and it's delicious, with no off flavors. I'm hoping I've found the magic ticked to this yeast, because I love the flavor of it, but it can obviously be a huge pain in the ass.

I heart sour beer

Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #106
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2495

Quote:
I'm certainly not implying it's done! Just pointing out that it can keep chugging away for over a month despite high krausen within 24 hours. I was hoping to bottle in 2 weeks, but if it's going to ferment this slowly that might not be possible.
Well you're right then, that is one slow ferment. I've never had anything move that slow.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #107
Bonesey
Recipes 

[QUOTE=mrmekon;2189193] 1.018 after 32 days.

Gentle Jesus! I think this is a perfectly fine yeast to use if you have a hot garage and carboys galore to start other brews. In hindsight I should have started this before my 3 wk vacation: Set it and forget it. I'm fairly new to this, so I've got many beers in the pipeline that I'm dying to make. I've got one other 5 gal boy to get started on other beers. Just when I thought I'd mastered the whole patience thing with this hobby, wyeast 3724 comes along to ruin everything.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #108
Bonesey
Recipes 

Quote:
1.018 after 32 days.
Gentle Jesus! I think this is a perfectly fine yeast to use if you have a hot garage and carboys galore to start other brews. In hindsight I should have started this before my 3 wk vacation: Set it and forget it. I'm fairly new to this, so I've got many beers in the pipeline that I'm dying to make. I've got one other 5 gal boy to get started on other beers. Just when I thought I'd mastered the whole patience thing with this hobby, wyeast 3724 comes along to ruin everything.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #109
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Would repitching another vial of the same yeast help un-stall it?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #110
Hopfen_und_Malz
Recipes 

The first saison I did with 3724 rocked the house and was done in a couple weeks. Now my second saison stopped after 36 hours despite my cozy setup. But, hey, no rush, the yeasties know what to do. Little patience is all.

[IMG][/IMG]

Salut

Quick Reply