Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > wyeast 3711 temp schedule

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
What do you think about the idea of using a swampcooler with an acquarium heater in it? I was thinking about getting one and ramping the swanp temp up.
should work great. never done it myself but i know others swear by the technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
Also, How vigorous of a fermenation should I expect? After 24 houts, I only have a small layer of krausen and I am getting about one bubble per second. I heard this yeast typically takes off pretty fast. I have only about 3 gallon of wort in a 6 gallon carboy. Thanks for the help.
personally i got a solid inch of krausen and maybe 2 bubbles per second at peak, but every brew is different. i oxygenated with an aquarium pump two or three times during the first 24 hours so i might have had a bigger yeast population. differences could also be due to amount and types of sugars, nutrients, temp changes, etc. who knows! as long as you attenuate well and make a tasty beer, no need to worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Am I the only one who uses it at more "normal" temps? Have any of you ever tried that?
nope, not yet. i've only ever done one batch with the temp ramp, but i'm planning on washing the yeast and doing another batch at "ambient" temps. i'll let you know how it goes. i'd expect the the second version to be a little bit spicier & a little less fruity - TBD.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
kevinb
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I will post my results. You have me curious. I plan to insulate with blanets etc and let the fermenation go. It is running between 70 - 72 degrees.

Kevin - One Arm Brewery

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It kinda depends what flavors you want to get out of it .... As Denny said above normal temps will be just fine and I have brewed 3711 fine at 68 degrees fahrenheit but, I have also ramped up to the low 80's over the course of a week and that was great too with lots of "spice" to it. That's the cool thing about saison yeast is that they enjoy a wide swing of temps with no "off flavors. Another cool thing about 3711 over lets say 565 is it has a lower risk of getting stuck as well as having a quicker finishing time as a general rule.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

I really prefer phenolics to fruitiness and I find of I run 3711 at 62F all the way through I get the nice phenolic character without over the top fruitiness.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #15
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I really prefer phenolics to fruitiness and I find of I run 3711 at 62F all the way through I get the nice phenolic character without over the top fruitiness.
Yep gonna try that, I ramped to 80 by day 2 and it's not what I wanted. Tastes like 530 (my house Belgian strain) but even fruitier, no subtlety whatsoever.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 03-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #16
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 53

IMO 3711 is its own yeast strain and is a super attenuator. It chews through sugars like none other outside of brett so temps really aren't a concern as it will attenuate at low ale or high ale temps. It gets down to what character do you want to push. I prefer the more phenolic character of the mid 60s.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So I read contradicting reports on fruit vs spice. Some people seem to think that high temps equals fruit and others say high temp equals spice. Which one is it? I ran my first saison with 3711 in the mid 60s and it ended up tasting very subtle fruit and little to no spice... More like a typical belgian strain.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
So I read contradicting reports on fruit vs spice. Some people seem to think that high temps equals fruit and others say high temp equals spice. Which one is it? I ran my first saison with 3711 in the mid 60s and it ended up tasting very subtle fruit and little to no spice... More like a typical belgian strain.
High temp equals fruit. For sure.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 03-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
high temp equals fruit. For sure.
+1.060!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Is there any need to worry about fusels if I start off at 70? I have temp control.

Quick Reply