Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > wyeast 3711 temp schedule

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Zeppman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default wyeast 3711 temp schedule

Hey guys,

I've never used this yeast before and have very limited experience with belgian and saison yeasts in general. Any tips on ferm temps with this strain for your average 1.05-1.06 beer?

I was going to go with something like 65 for first 3 days, 68-70 for 3 days, then upper 70s for a week or so? No idea here and just guessing based off what I've read.

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

A pretty standard schedule is to pitch at 68 and raise the temperature over the course of active fermentation, a couple degrees a day til you are in the upper 70s/low 80s.

That being said, this is my go-to saison yeast, and I usually pitch at 68 and just let it free-rise in whatever ambient temperature I've got (Right now it's about 75 in my house). I have always been pleased with the results.

The real rule of thumb is, if you want fruity esters, ramp up the temp (especially in the beginning days of active fermentation); if you want a cleaner profile, ferment on the lower end of the spectrum.

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

what kmos said.

i pitched at 68 and held at 68-70 for two days, then 70-72 for two days, then ramped up to 81 and held it there for a week. i'm going to let it sit at ambient temp (68-70) for a few weeks - until such time as i get inspired to bottle or i need the fermenter for something else.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
kevinb
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Great timing, I just logged in to post this same question. I actually do not have a heater setup. This is the first day of fermenation on my Saison and the temp is at 70F. Is it worth trying to rig up a heater or let it ferment at 70?

Kevin - One Arm Brewery

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
Great timing, I just logged in to post this same question. I actually do not have a heater setup. This is the first day of fermenation on my Saison and the temp is at 70F. Is it worth trying to rig up a heater or let it ferment at 70?
I have a fermwrap with a johnson controller that I use in the cooler months, but you might just wrap some blankets or sleeping backs around it. It will heat itself up another 5 degrees or so just through the process of active fermentation; hopefully with the insulation, you can keep that heat in there.

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

I've found that 3711 does great at lower than normal saison temps. I run it at 62 all the way through and love the results.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

kevinb - 3711 should do fine at 70*F. it might finish a few points higher than it would have with heat. you will also end up with fewer esters which are in part responsible for traditional saison taste, but again the difference shouldn't be huge. on the reverse, lower temps should result in spicier/earthier/more phenolic beer. at some point maybe you'll acquire a source of heat and you can compare both versions.

the blanket/sleeping bag idea should work, but you run the risk of letting the brew warm up a little on the early side. based on everything i've read, it's best to ramp up after the peak of fermentation. however it's the peak that produces the most heat, so slapping a blanket on there means that you heat a little earlier than ideal. overall i'd still put a blanket on, since it's better to heat early than not at all (disclaimer: i like my saisons estery).

i use a brew belt, but if i had to do it again i'd get a fermwrap heater. instead of a controller, i use a cheap timer like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...3#.UGC6065TDTc. for $15 you can get a digital one. with a bit of experience i have figured out how often to turn the best on and off to maintain a given temperature. for example, for the saison i had the brew belt on non-stop for about 20 hours to get the carboy up to 80*, thereafter i switched to 30 mins on/30 mins off to maintain that temp. obviously this isn't high precision, but it's good enough for me.

edit: just found a digital one for $7 - http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...3#.UGC8ia5TDTc - if it can be programmed to turn on & off multiple times a day, i'm getting one.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
kevinb Likes This 
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
kevinb
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Sweetcell - great feedback.

What do you think about the idea of using a swampcooler with an acquarium heater in it? I was thinking about getting one and ramping the swanp temp up.

Also, How vigorous of a fermenation should I expect? After 24 houts, I only have a small layer of krausen and I am getting about one bubble per second. I heard this yeast typically takes off pretty fast. I have only about 3 gallon of wort in a 6 gallon carboy. Thanks for the help.

Kevin - One Arm Brewery

"People who drink light ‘beer’ don’t like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Am I the only one who uses it at more "normal" temps? Have any of you ever tried that?

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Am I the only one who uses it at more "normal" temps? Have any of you ever tried that?
I've started just putting my batches with 3711 in my basement, no water bath. Temps are usually between 62-67*F down there depending on the time of year. A lot easier than trying to ramp temperatures up, yet it still finishes super dry and has a great fermentation character.

Quick Reply