The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3711 -- I'm officially impressed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Maarten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Friends of mine brewed an extreme saison with 3711: og 1105, fg 1005. That is 13 % abv! I have brewed a standard saison with it, and I love it. It truely is a beautiful yeast strain.

Feel free to visit my blog on yeast and (mainly) Belgian style beers:
http://saccharolicious.blogspot.com/. Now also on facebook!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Friends of mine brewed an extreme saison with 3711: og 1105, fg 1005.
That is, frankly, incredible.

Probably my favorite part about this strain is that saisons are supposed to be bone dry and you don't have to worry about achieving that at all. All you hear about with some of the other strains is how difficult it is to get below 1.010, and this thing just cleans up. Simply amazing. (And tasty, too.)

Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
Nugent
Session ale enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

For those that have used this strain, is using sugar as an adjunct necessary to get this beer to an appropriate level of dryness? I know that using sugar in Belgian style ales is very common, but is it necessary with this strain?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
Brocster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
For those that have used this strain, is using sugar as an adjunct necessary to get this beer to an appropriate level of dryness? I know that using sugar in Belgian style ales is very common, but is it necessary with this strain?

Not exactly sure if you need sugar or not, but, a little Belgian or Honey can only help.

About the 3711 strain - wow!

I just brewed a Saison last weekend (simple Grain bill and an OG of 1.055).

Fermented at 72 for a day then cranked up the room to 85 degrees for 5. 1.004 already! Totally awesome taste for such a green beer. We added fresh orange zest (from 6 oranges) and that subtle flavor is also there.

Can't wait for the beer to condition out and get on tap!

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
Douglefish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Yeast Bite?

I just started a thread, and then saw this one too. I apologize for double posting, but i thought that I would give this thread a try too. I'm a little baffled?

I brewed a Saison 2 Sundays ago (12 days ago) with the 3711 French Saison yeast, and forgot Whirl-Floc. Like everyone said, that yeast is a MONSTER!!! I started the fermentation temp off at around 65-66 degrees and and started to ramp it up at the 48 hour mark. I raised it till it got around 79-80 degrees. The thing finished up fermentation at about day 7 or 8. I got around to taking a sample yesterday, and it read 1.002 and started at around 1.065.

That makes 8.25% abv, which is crazy.

The problem is that the beer has a VERY bitter taste to it with maybe a note of Sulphur, and the bitterness is different than hop bitterness I believe. The beer initially has that great fruit and belgian taste then it finishes with that strong bitter and sulphur note.

Is this Yeast Bite???

Old 07-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondrich View Post
Is this Yeast Bite???
It may well be. I had something similar happen. Hydro samples tasted great, as did the beer when I transferred to the keg. Then, the first three pints were off. Just a somewhat nasty taste in the finish. Once the yeast was gone, though, flavor suddenly improved dramatically and I couldn't believe how tasty it was.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you know, I've never had any troubles whatsoever with 3724 attenuating fully and haven't been tempted to try a different yeast (in general, I don't like phenolics, so I'm really picky about which phenolic yeasts I'll use). Still, 3711 is starting to sound tempting.

When it's treated right, and used in a very warm, temperature-controlled environment with no temperature swings, Dupont has always attenuated strong and fast. IMO, problems with attenuation are most likely due to large temperature fluctuations - it's tough to maintain a steady 85F - or from folks attempting to ferment too cool with this yeast - i.e. start low and let it free-rise. The initial stages of fermentation are really the key moments for yeast health and this yeast really needs the warmth.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondrich View Post
I just started a thread, and then saw this one too. I apologize for double posting, but i thought that I would give this thread a try too. I'm a little baffled?

I brewed a Saison 2 Sundays ago (12 days ago) with the 3711 French Saison yeast, and forgot Whirl-Floc. Like everyone said, that yeast is a MONSTER!!! I started the fermentation temp off at around 65-66 degrees and and started to ramp it up at the 48 hour mark. I raised it till it got around 79-80 degrees. The thing finished up fermentation at about day 7 or 8. I got around to taking a sample yesterday, and it read 1.002 and started at around 1.065.

That makes 8.25% abv, which is crazy.

The problem is that the beer has a VERY bitter taste to it with maybe a note of Sulphur, and the bitterness is different than hop bitterness I believe. The beer initially has that great fruit and belgian taste then it finishes with that strong bitter and sulphur note.

Is this Yeast Bite???
I had a mild that had a LOT of sulfur in it. It tasted good going into the keg, but I naturally prime and it carbonated during a real heat spell in the area. I suspect some of that flavor was produced at that time. As, I've drawn off the yeast it has improved. The sulfur taste is basically gone and there is just a sublte hint of it in the aroma at this point.

On another note, this thread has me thinking about brewing up a saison.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-24-2010, 03:09 AM   #19
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I made a saison with that strain and I was also very happy with the results. Definitely brew another with it.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #20
Brewham
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Me too. I built the Petit Saison from Northern Brewer with 3711 and added another pound of 55/45 wheat DME. It made a great beer that I will do again. I used the cake for another batch six weeks later. It is still in the secondary but seems to be equal.

Quick Reply