New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3711 -- I'm officially impressed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #141
Judochop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep1980 View Post
I am using this yeast in a pretty simple rec:
8# 2 row
1# 20L
1 oz pearle @ 60
1 oz saaz @ 20
1 oz saaz @ 5

Any thoughts?
Sounds wonderfully pure. Some folks'll tell you to reduce the crystal for increased fermentability, but as I have discovered for myself, this yeast can make short work of what would otherwise be only moderately fermentable worts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #142
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judochop View Post
Sounds wonderfully pure. Some folks'll tell you to reduce the crystal for increased fermentability, but as I have discovered for myself, this yeast can make short work of what would otherwise be only moderately fermentable worts.
It just dawned on me I have Belgian Saison and not French. Either way, that recipe will likely maintain.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #143
Kunkemonster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any reason I can't use this yeast for an IPA? All my current brews on tap are low IBU and I'm itching for a nice Pale Ale or IPA.

Plan is to keep the temps lower to reduce the characteristic spicy yeasty flavor, just want to have a nice IPA even with this warmer weather. I already do the ice packs in a bucket trick, but have been plagued with high fusel alcohol beers my last two batches.

OG of 1.065 of LME and DME with 60 IBUs and lots of late additions of hops to help balance out the expected low FG. Start fermentation at 68 and move up to 77 over the course of a week. Using part of a yeast cake from my 3.8% Petite Saison I will be kegging. What do you think?

Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #144
EricScott
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A few weeks ago I used 3711 to brew a iipa. Started around 1.095. Its down to around 1.015. I used 4oz late addition cascade. Fermented at 70 the whole time. I tasted it a few days ago. Very citrusy. Didnt notice any earthyness. Did notice it was a bit hot though. Hoping a couple weeks of aging will mellow that. Will let you know.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #145
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
It just dawned on me I have Belgian Saison and not French. Either way, that recipe will likely maintain.
Then I'll say a little prayer that you don't get a stuck ferment.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #146
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judochop View Post
Then I'll say a little prayer that you don't get a stuck ferment.
I may run it back and swap it. Everything I read says to get 3711.

The guy at LHBS acted like he knew I'd be swapping it. I'm hoping to do mine prob next weekend, or early the week after.

Do you guys do a long secondary fermentation with it or anything?

Edit: I am also swapping out the 20L for Munich, and adding a little Carafa III for color.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #147
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I may run it back and swap it. Everything I read says to get 3711.

The guy at LHBS acted like he knew I'd be swapping it. I'm hoping to do mine prob next weekend, or early the week after.

Do you guys do a long secondary fermentation with it or anything?

Edit: I am also swapping out the 20L for Munich, and adding a little Carafa III for color.
Actually, my sources tell me that the Belgian Saison doesn't really get stuck so much as it just slows. It hits the brakes around 1.035'ish, but as long as you can keep it warm and can wait several weeks or more, it'll eventually do the job you asked of it. This is all second-hand knowledge for me.

Anyway, I've given my saison with the 3711 3 weeks in primary, and plan on giving it another 3-5 weeks in secondary (keg) before tapping. Mostly this is because I don't have the empty slot in my keezer, but I also think a month or two should help the beer's flavors mature a bit and reduce some of that saisony hotness mentioned earlier.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #148
Kunkemonster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I won't ramp up the fermentation temp and try and keep it around 70 the whole time.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #149
beergolf

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I just had the first taste of my second batch of Saison using 3711 last night. Yummy stuff. Nice amount of yeast flavor.

I am hooked on this yeast and am going to do another batch soon.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #150
dcHokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunkemonster View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I guess I won't ramp up the fermentation temp and try and keep it around 70 the whole time.
3724 may need higher temps to fully attenuate as mentioned earlier, but I've used 3711 successfully at both a static temp (~68 F) and once ramping up temps to 80 F. Both methods yielded good results. 3711 is pretty versatile, but in my experience (and anecdotally via this thread) you certainly shouldn't need to warm this strain up. Hope your batch turns out well, cheers!

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Quick Reply