Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3711 French Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #661
phuff7129
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz
There are a lot of conflicting reports about temp with 3711 but I got much better flavor from 70-80 than 60-70.
That's good information. My understanding is at lower temps ester production will be somewhat muted and phenol production will be emphasized. I have read that a great way to manage fermentation on a Saison is to start it on the low end of temp and increase the temp into the 80's over approx. 5 days. It's thought that this gives you the best phenol and ester production.
I am new to brewing saisons and I wanted to be able to experiment with different types of fermentation and some different types of yeast. Also I've had a few saisons which I thought were just too funky and I thought it might be from high ester production so I decided to keep this fermentation cool to inhibit ester production to see if that suits my taste. When I checked gravity it smelled and tasted great. I can't wait to get it carbed. Here's a question. What level to you guys carb your saisons and do you bottle or keg?

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #662
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuff7129 View Post

That's good information. My understanding is at lower temps ester production will be somewhat muted and phenol production will be emphasized. I have read that a great way to manage fermentation on a Saison is to start it on the low end of temp and increase the temp into the 80's over approx. 5 days. It's thought that this gives you the best phenol and ester production.
I am new to brewing saisons and I wanted to be able to experiment with different types of fermentation and some different types of yeast. Also I've had a few saisons which I thought were just too funky and I thought it might be from high ester production so I decided to keep this fermentation cool to inhibit ester production to see if that suits my taste. When I checked gravity it smelled and tasted great. I can't wait to get it carbed. Here's a question. What level to you guys carb your saisons and do you bottle or keg?
I bottle but i bottle all my beer and when some beers are better in the bottle i dont think saison is one of them as it doesnt age very well, for co2 i like to get it to 3 volume

Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #663
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you could spend years figuring out the nuances of 3711 and how temp affects it.

Also Saison is traditionally a bottled beer, and it ages exceedingly well.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #664
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

i bottle in thick belgian bottles (mostly Duvel bottles) and i typically carb in the 3.5 range. i wouldn't go that high with regular bottle, i'd stay around 2.7-2.8.

saisons age very nicely although i find a higher alcohol level (say over 6%) helps. magic happens when you add brett and let that sit for a few months.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.
Montanaandy Likes This 
Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #665
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i bottle in thick belgian bottles (mostly Duvel bottles) and i typically carb in the 3.5 range. i wouldn't go that high with regular bottle, i'd stay around 2.7-2.8.

saisons age very nicely although i find a higher alcohol level (say over 6%) helps. magic happens when you add brett and let that sit for a few months.
I go to 3.5 in regular bottles all the time. No issue.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #666
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Ok I'm brewing up another. Any objections to starting at 70-72 rather than the usual 68? I see a lot of people say that fusels are not a problem...

Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #667
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Tagz,

You'll be fine at those temps. Expect more of the fruit esters, less of the spicy phenols. Good for summer!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #668
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I used 3711 on my saison this summer. Let it sit for three weeks in primary - mostly at 80-85F - and removed it from the freezer yesterday to keg. When I did the yeast kicked up at the bottom and began fermenting all over again (bubbles and new krausen for the last 24 hours since!) So now I need to wait some more with my carboy wrapped in a dark blanket on my kitchen floor. Once the bubbles stop I'll drop soome gelatin on this bad boy and be done with it.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #669
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoftheearth View Post
I used 3711 on my saison this summer. Let it sit for three weeks in primary - mostly at 80-85F - and removed it from the freezer yesterday to keg. When I did the yeast kicked up at the bottom and began fermenting all over again (bubbles and new krausen for the last 24 hours since!) So now I need to wait some more with my carboy wrapped in a dark blanket on my kitchen floor. Once the bubbles stop I'll drop soome gelatin on this bad boy and be done with it.
Did you take a hydrometer reading?

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

theQ Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #670
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

No, no hydrometer reading yet. I'll take one tonight since activity has stopped, then see if we're ready for gelatin.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Quick Reply