Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3711 French Saison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #631
weiht
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It finishes very low and dry without being too thin. I'd like to add some oats for saisons to give it body whilst finishing dry. This yeast however, finishes very dry and crisp as well without thinning too much, BUT it adds to the perceived bitterness. My 33 ibus wort that i split between a pale ale yeast and this came out pretty harsh on the bitterness due to the perceived bitterness and some gypsum added.

Having said that, I'm sure i would have gotten a better beer had I brewed a saison recipe to begin with. Nice citrusy notes from the yeast, anyone else got tartness? Just not very farmhouse funky.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #632
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff
First time using this strain. I'm making a Saison du Buff clone for my brother for Christmas. Definitely not what I'm used to as it's day 7 of fermentation and it's still going. About 2-3 seconds per bubble. Sounds like this is pretty typical for 3711? It was never a crazy strong fermentation, just steady activity.

Anything to be concerned about? I'm going to take a grav today to see what's happening, but it just looks like this is a slow and steady yeast.
Normal fermentation.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #633
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks! Good to know. Took a grav today and I'm only at 1.012. Still chugging away though so I guess it's just going to take time to get down to 1.008. Fermenting at around 66 probably isn't helping matters. The grav sample tasted fantastic though.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #634
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
I guess it's just going to take time to get down to 1.008.
how do you know it's going to get to 1.008? how do you know it won't keep on going? you can't trust a recipe or a website to tell you what your FG is going to be, especially not with this yeast. you gotta let it do its thing and leave it alone until it's reached what it says is FG (as indicated by 3 days of stable gravity readings). my saison finished at 1.005, a friend's went to 1.000.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #635
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
how do you know it's going to get to 1.008? how do you know it won't keep on going? you can't trust a recipe or a website to tell you what your FG is going to be, especially not with this yeast. you gotta let it do its thing and leave it alone until it's reached what it says is FG (as indicated by 3 days of stable gravity readings). my saison finished at 1.005, a friend's went to 1.000.
Good point. I'm so used to US-05 since I use it for most of my beers and its like clockwork. First time using a Saison yeast and they're definitely on their own schedule. I was hoping to bottle on Friday, but the bugs seem to have a different plan.

The 1.008 came from the recipe. Although, the krausen has dropped considerably the last day or two so it does look like they're starting to wind down. Just have to be patient I suppose.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #636
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Good point. I'm so used to US-05 since I use it for most of my beers and its like clockwork. First time using a Saison yeast and they're definitely on their own schedule. I was hoping to bottle on Friday, but the bugs seem to have a different plan.

The 1.008 came from the recipe. Although, the krausen has dropped considerably the last day or two so it does look like they're starting to wind down. Just have to be patient I suppose.
Don't be surprised if you go below 1.008, As others have mentioned this yeast will do what this yeast will do which is dry way out. Both times I have used this yeast I hit 1.001

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #637
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks! Good to know. Took a grav today and I'm only at 1.012. Still chugging away though so I guess it's just going to take time to get down to 1.008. Fermenting at around 66 probably isn't helping matters. The grav sample tasted fantastic though.
One thing to keep in mind is this yeast will put off a lot of the saison funk and flavors at higher temps. I'm sure what you will get at these lower temps. I know people that have fermented tat 90+ degrees. My summer saison I ferment at around 85 degrees and just let it go however high it will go. No control.

Fine Creek Brewery

Secondary:

Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 AM   #638
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 39

In.

Just brewed 10 gallons. Over night chillin. Pitching in morning!

"I'd Tap That!"
HaPpY yEaSt HaPpY fEaSt

=BEARDEN BREWERY=

Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #639
KCBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a batch last weekend (1-19-2013):

OG 1.051 (82% Beligan Pils, 9% White Wheat, 9% Cane Sugar)
Hops 1oz Northern Brewer@60, 1oz Willamette @5, 1oz Styrian Golding@0
Pitched 1 smack pack of 3711, activated night before and put on a stirplate with 2 cups of pre boil wort for about 4 hours

Day 0:temp 68 OG 1.051-
Day 1:temp 70 High Krausen (about 1.5 inches)
Day 2 temp 72 Gravity 1.030 (Tastes sweet and banana esters are strong, very fruity, Krausen has largely subsided)
Day 3 temp 73 Krausen is gone, looks about like a blue moon 20 minutes after the pour at RT, I'm worried...
Day 4 temp 75 Gravity 1.010 (Still banana-y, still fruity, SWMBO calls it barley juice, looks like a milkshake
Day 5 temp 77
Day 6 temp 80 Gravity 1.006 (Banana is subsiding, still tastes fruity though, at this point I am resigned to have created a wit)
Day 7 temp 80
Day 8 temp 80 Gravity 1.004, now is starting to have a nicer saison profile, banana is gone, still not 'spicy' but it is nicely balanced, without a better description, it tastes like a muted saison. Amazing on the alcohol though, it is 6% and SWMBO remarked that it was a low alcohol beer. I am now thoroughly excited at getting this carbed and drank. I unplugged the ferm-wrap at this point.

Notes: I have a ferm-wrap connected to a Johnson controller with the probe taped to the carboy and covered by a zip-lock filled with blow in insulation, taped tight over the probe with duct tape, differential on the Johnson set at 2 degrees. So the temps listed above are actually the low end of a 2 degree fluctuation.

Also, I got the chance to chat up Stevek Pauwels and he said that they do their Tank 7, which is a favorite of mine at 66 degrees throughout and that will keep things on the spicier side of the yeast, which was news to me, and might be my approach next time. Although it should be noted that it is their own yeast strain. For reference, they use the same yeast on their Saison (Tank 7) as their Quad (Sixth Glass) which have totally different yeast flavor profiles, it's amazing what a belgian yeast will do with temps.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #640
jbags5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OK, I love this yeast.

Previously used it to brew my favorite ever Saison this summer. Tried to replicate the recipe with a brew on January 1st, went well - 5 gallon batch, mashed at 150ish, OG 1.060. After the first few days of fermentation at 65-70, I kept it in my bathroom with a space heater on, keeping the ambient temp in the 75-80 range.

It has now been 4.5 weeks in primary (I generally don't secondary and just bottle after 3-4 weeks, unless dryhopping), and I'm ready to bottle, but this beer isn't! It's still bubbling every minute or two. Just wow. Think I may transfer to secondary soon, since I don't want bottle bombs.

Still bubbling regularly after 4+ weeks?? That's a first for me!

Quick Reply